Approval workflow using splits & joins

amar singh July 13, 2011

Hi all,

I am trying to design a workflow in XML.

if an issue is created, it splits to 4 parts [ manager 1 approves, manager 1 rejects, manager 2 approves, manager 2 rejects]

if the manager 1 and 2 both approves it goes to step 1 if they rejects then it goes to step 8(closed).

I have designed the workflow based on http://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRACOM/Unordered+workflow+transitions+%28eg.+issue+approval%29 .

but this example only shows that only join leads to step 1, there is no step 8.

As in my case, I had to create 2 joins, one leading to step 1 and other leading to step 8. but it does not work. it still leads to step 2 but with a status of step 8.

I am posting the join statement maybe that's where the fault lies.

Can anyone help.

<joins>

<join id="1">

<conditions type="AND">

<condition type="beanshell">

<arg name="script">

"Finished".equals(jn.getStep(17).getStatus()) &amp;&amp;

"Finished".equals(jn.getStep(18).getStatus())

</arg>

</condition>

</conditions>

<unconditional-result old-status="Finished" status="Approved" step="2"/>

</join>

<join id="2">

<conditions type="AND">

<condition type="beanshell">

<arg name="script">

"Finished".equals(jn.getStep(19).getStatus()) &amp;&amp;

"Finished".equals(jn.getStep(20).getStatus())

</arg>

</condition>

</conditions>

<unconditional-result old-status="Finished" status="Closed" step="8"/>

</join>

</joins>

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
amar singh July 14, 2011

Do you know how to hide the transition through a post function ?

I was thinking that when one of the joins is executed, I will add a post function underneeth the unconditional result to hide the other transitions.

Thanks

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 14, 2011

You need to hide transitions using a condition. If the condition is not true, eg all sub-Approval records not in state Approved, then the condition won't be shown.

0 votes
JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 13, 2011

Hrm... splits and joins are not well supported in jira, eg I believe the bulk issue editor will fail. Approvals are best handled with sub-tasks in my opinion, with the appropriate post-functions to create them, and conditions to prevent the parent being moved forward. Permissions and notifications are much easier to handle too.

Suggest an answer