Application Links not working, Jenkins plugin for Jira

Mark de Bont
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 27, 2014

I am trying to setup a link between Jira 6.3.3 an Jenkins 1.554LTS to communicate the results of the Jenkins builds to the Jira tickets.

However, I am not getting the application links defined in either Jenkins and Jira.

When defining an application link in Jenkins (via "Manage Jenkins > Configure System") the entry does not show in the Application Links link in the Manage Jenkins menu.

When defining the application link in Jira I get the message that the Jenkins link can not be found.

Jira reports:

"Application 'Jenkins' seems to be offline. Click here to Relocate."

Outgoing Authentication is enabled and seems working.
Let me know how I can provide a more detailed logging

I've installed the latest version of this plugin, 1.4.7, in Jira and Jenkins.

4 answers

0 votes
Mark de Bont
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 31, 2014

Yes, I've installed the latest version of this plugin, 1.4.7, in Jira 6.3.3 and Jenkins 1.554LTS.

Just to be sure: In the application link in Jenkins I am defining the application URL ( http:<ip of JIRA server>:8080 ) ? I did that, but when in Jenkins under 'Manage Jenkins' the 'Application Links' report:

No application links are configured

Mark Rekveld - Marvelution
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 31, 2014

Within Jenkins only the configured application links are shown. Its not yet support to define links from Jenkins. All application links need to be created and managed in JIRA.

Can you share the log from JIRA and Jenkins? There should be a clue in there somewhere.

Mark de Bont
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 31, 2014

I'll create an issue in your Jira database and attach Jira and Jenkins log files

0 votes
Mark de Bont
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 31, 2014

The atlassian-jira.log Also contains the following errors:

2014-09-01 09:25:10,386 http-bio-8080-exec-6 WARN <USERNAME> 564x144273x1 c9rjyb 10.120.24.37 /plugins/servlet/applinks/listEntityLinks/com.atlassian.applinks.api.application.jira.JiraProjectEntityType/ATA [plugins.jenkins.applinks.JenkinsManifestProducer] Unable to get the manifest for http://XXXXXX:8080

2014-08-29 14:28:17,869 http-bio-8080-exec-9 WARN <USERNAME> 868x125950x1 1oib9gq 10.120.24.27 /plugins/servlet/streams [atlassian.streams.internal.StreamsCompletionService] Registering failure for stream provider <JENKINS> due to error other

which are repeated throughout the logs

Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
August 31, 2014

This error explains way you would need to provide the details for Jenkins link by hand, like application type, name.

Are there any other errors in the log? There should be an error related to the Jenkins Application Type itself. I think that the missing Jenkins Application Type is the cause of the issue.

Marketplace Partner
August 31, 2014

Oke so the Jenkins plugin in JIRA is installed correctly if you can select the Jenkins application type. Did you also install the Jenkins plugin with the same version?

This plugin provides the Application Link Manifest that JIRA uses.

You can get it here

0 votes
Marketplace Partner
August 28, 2014

Hi,

You should be able to configure links between JIRA and Jenkins from JIRA using the new Application Link wiard. When in JIRA, go to Addons > Application Links. Provide the URL to jenkins and clink the "Create a new link" button. Then follow the wiard.

After this is done, go to Addons > Jenkins Configuration (Under source control). There you should be able to see a list of all the Jobs known on Jenkins. Where you can check the jobs you want to sync the builds of and that will participate in the builds panels.

Cheers,
Mark

Jonathan Langevin August 28, 2014

As Mark de Bont noted, when creating an application link in Jira (Addons > Application Links), Jira doesn't recognize the Jenkins URL. If continuing onward manually, the dropdown doesn't list Jenkins. Yet the add-on installed without any error.

Marketplace Partner
August 28, 2014

Can you share some log information? If the addon is installed correctly then you should have a Jenkins and Hudon application type option.

Not sure how to get the logs at moment, but the addon is definitely installed, modules show it's registered as Application Link event listener.

Screenshot of dropdown when attempting to link an application

Screenshot (1 of 3) of modules enabled for the addon

Screenshot (2 of 3) of modules

Screenshot (3 of 3) of modules

Formatting broke the first link, fixed it.

Double-checked Jira version, I was incorrect, it's 6.1.6, running Jira Agile 6.3.7

Mark de Bont
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 28, 2014

Jira reports:

"Application 'Jenkins' seems to be offline. Click here to Relocate."

Outgoing Authentication is enabled and seems working.
Let me know how I can provide a more detailed logging
Mark de Bont
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 28, 2014

Jonathan, I get 404's on your dropbox URL's

Marketplace Partner
August 28, 2014

Hi Jonathan,

I also get a 404 on the screenshots. Can you correct the URLs?

The latest version for JIRA 6.1 and 6.2 is 1.4.6.1 avaliable in the markterplace.

Quite frustrating. Looks like additional characters were inserted.

Links updated.

BTW, iirc there is now a Jenkins Configuration link in the admin menu now, but of course can't be used until an Application Link exists.

Marketplace Partner
August 28, 2014

Hi Jonathan,

Looking at the screenshots, all seems oke except for the missing two application type options Jenkins and Hudson.

Do your JIRA log file(s) print any exceptions?
If you don't want to add log files here you can create a new ticket at https://marvelution.atlassian.net/browse/JJIand select "Private Information" as security level.

Cheers,
Mark

0 votes

I have the same issue, same or very similar application versions.

Suggest an answer