All Subtasks under all Jira issues of a specific type

Don M
I'm New Here
I'm New Here
Those new to the Atlassian Community have posted less than three times. Give them a warm welcome!
May 9, 2024

We have a custom Issue Type (modeled after the generic "Task" type of issue). We create 5 or 6 subtasks under this custom type to do the steps of the work. 

I'm trying to build a JQL that ONLY searches for the subtasks under these specific custom parent task types. I can't seem to figure out how to do it. I can only seem to search for ALL subtasks in the project, not only those under the custom jira issue type. Therefore I'm getting subtasks I don't need. Thoughts? 

2 answers

0 votes
Charlotte Santos -Appfire-
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 10, 2024

Hi Don M,

I’m Charlotte, a support engineer at Appfire and I’m here to help you.

Unfortunately, natively, you’ll not be able to do it dynamically.

In the app where my team works, JQL Search Extensions for Jira, you can use this query to get all subtasks under a specific issue type:

issue in subtaskOf("type = Task")

Please contact our support if you have any other questions about this query.

We’ll be happy to help you!

0 votes
Dave Rosenlund
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 9, 2024

Hi, "Don M."  Welcome to the community  👋

Are you trying to see all the customs issues with their sub-tasks in one result? That can't be done with JQL, AFAIK.  

That's because the JQL for subtasks and/or linkedIssues requires an IssueKey, so you can only do this for one custom issue at a time.

The only other option I can think of is that you might want to consider using an Atlassian Marketplace app like Structure or JXL. There may be other apps that would do this, too. But those are the two I know of off the top of my head.

Hope this helps,

-dave

Suggest an answer