Adding backlog status to scrum

Jade Melcher October 8, 2018

Hello, I would like to associate the status backlog to my scrum backlog. Currently the status is To Do.

I need to create a kanban board based off of 2 scrum projects, and the kanban board would have a backlog with Backlog status and a To Do column on the board with To Do.

Currently my scrum projects have To Do as the backlog statuses. I cannot figure out how to adjust the Backlog status. I was able to add a status as well as make all new issues go to the status but not sure how to make them appear on the board since the status is not associated with a column.

Screen Shot 2018-10-08 at 10.25.06 AM.pngScreen Shot 2018-10-08 at 10.25.32 AM.png

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 8, 2018

Hello,

That is how my settings look for a kanban board:

1.pngAre you sure that you created a kanban board?

Hi Alexey, I created a Scrum project. I have 2 scrum projects that I plan to pull into a kanban board filter.

I need my 2 scrum projects backlogs to have the backlog status, so that the kanban project works correctly.

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 8, 2018

In the Scrum board, you do not map a status to the backlog. All issues, which are not in a sprint, go to the Backlog

Like # people like this

Ok, well I created Backlog status for the scrum boards and had all new issues go to Backlog status BUT the issue does not show up on the backlog view because it is not mapped?

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 8, 2018

I see. Have a look at the filter, which is defined for your scrum board (board configuration -> general) and make sure that the issues in the backlog status, are chosen by this filter.

Thank you for all your help!

Filter: project = MO 

I think it has something to do with the fact that the Project is only pulling in items with To Do into the Backlog. 

I need to map the Backlog status to the backlog.

Anyone else know?

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 8, 2018

Just to make sure we talk about the same things

Untitled.pngDo you mean that you can see issues with the backlog status in the Backlog with the red rectangle?

Correct, when I create an issue with backlog status it does not appear in the backlog in the red triangle. Only items with To Do appear.

For some reason it wants me to map the backlog status :/

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 8, 2018

Could you map the backlog status to the To Do column? I guess, the Backlog status does not have any meaning in the Scrum board. Issues go to the backlog because they are not in a sprint. It does not depend on the status field.

Like Mario Böck likes this

oh my goodness - that was it!! I needed to drag backlog to To Do along with To Do, and now just need to make sure all items in To Do have To Do while items in Backlog have backlog. I also transitioned all items in backlog to backlog status.

THANK YOU!!!

Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
October 8, 2018

You are welcome!

Tasneem Abdelhamid April 30, 2019

Hi Jade, would you please what exactly you did , as i face same problem as you now?

Like Daniel Camargo likes this

Suggest an answer