Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Add task to story

Edited

How can I add a task to a story?

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/How-to-add-task-to-a-story/qaq-p/292666#M234478

Here Földes László says it works now. See answer from February ‘18

i want to close the story ater the related tasks are done.

best regards

3 answers

Jira,

How can this obviously needed feature is not obviously available or cannot be found. Your UI sucks!! 

Here's how to implement: Go to task: allow to add a task from link option on a story. Or, go to a story,  allow add a task from link option. If that's hard, allow it from ... button/meatballs menu.

Taran I'm New Here Jul 12, 2021

True that

Like # people like this

Hi Marcos,

I put together an extension called Agile Docs which lets you do exactly this.

It allows you to create your epics, stories and tasks in a nested google doc and automatically creates relationships between them.

If you want to create a Task which automatically has a relationship with a parent Story, you create a dotpoint under the Story you want to link to like below:

task-link.png

In the above example, the task 'this is a task' belongs to the Story 'This is another story'.

You can check out the demo here.

Let me know what you think :)

Cheers, Rhys.

Hi Rhys,

I'm quite new to JIRA, so please bare with me.

The extension you developed looks great. I'm also trying to create a task as a child of a story, but show that relationship in 'Plan' which is part of portfolio - otherwise we have a long list of tasks that are merely 'linked issues' of story's, but without any visual representation. Would this extension carry through the code that will allow me to view that custom relationship in 'Plan', or is this a completely separate nested table?

Look forward to your response,.

Hi @Ben Thomson 

Thanks for the kind words. Unfortunately Agile Docs no longer supports creating Tasks under Stories. Most people were using sub-tasks under their stories so that was the direction we decided to go. There are other add-ons I could recommend for this but I'm not sure if they'd carry through to the 'Plan' view in Portfolio. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful!

Best Regards,

Rhys

1 vote
Dave Norton Atlassian Team Mar 27, 2018

HI Marcos,

Adding a subtask should be as simple as:

1. Viewing your issue
  2. Clicking the "More" menu
  3. And then choosing "Add Sub-task".

Let me know if this isn't working for you or if I've misunderstood :)

As for the second part of your question (closing a story after the related tasks are done); that's a little more complex.

You'll probably want to make use of Jira Misc Workflow Extensions; specifically the "transition parent issue" post fuction.

The idea is that you'll use a post function to transition the parent issue (on the close or completion of a sub task), with a "Linked Issues Status Validator" that checks if all the linked issues (i.e, sub tasks) are closed. 

So, to put this all together:

1. You have a workflow for your sub tasks
  2. When you close a sub task, the post function will transition the parent issue to the closed state.
  3. You'll need a validator on this transition, which checks to see if the parent issue's linked issues (sub tasks) are all closed - if they're all closed, the validator returns true.

Let me know how you go!

Cheers,
Dave

This doesn't answer the question. As the OP says, Földes *specifically states* that you can add tasks, as of February 2018.

We cannot comment in that thread (moderators locked it), but please can you explain how to create Tasks in Stories -- or can you confirm that Földes was making an incorrect statement, and this feature has NOT been added?

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you