According to Jira, What is Blocker, Critical, Major, Minor and Trival Bugs? How they're classified?

In Jira, under priority field there are Blocker, Critical, Major, Minor and Trivial Bugs. Could you please define Blocker, Critical, Major, Minor and Trivial?

1 answer

Hi @Dinesh,

They are (just) default names for level 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5. If you want them named otherwise, you can do so if you are a Jira Administrator. The only thing to keep in mind, is that you are changing them for your entire instance (for now that is; in the very near future, you will be able to set different priority names at project level).

Hi Walter,

Thanks for the explanation. Could you please define those terms i.e., Blocker, Critical, Major, Minor and Trivial.

Hi @Dinesh,

You could search for any definition online and I could try to give you one, but that would not make any sense. Jira just offers you a list of 5 priority names to manage prioritisation of your bugs or incidents.

Blocker would be the highest level of priority and trivial would be the lowest. The others rank in between. 

But Jira does not have any intent to be prescriptive about this. How you manage priorities at your organisation is something you should decide and define for yourself. If you want to use the default priorities of Jira, that's fine. In that case, maybe I should be asking you what they (should) mean to you. If you can't explain them or don't know what they mean, than maybe you should define less or other priorities that match your way of working.

From your question, I cannot make up whether you are Jira Administrator or not. But if you are, then you can and should define clear and understandable priorities yourself. If you are not, it would be best to ask this same question within your own organisation, so it becomes clear what you should use when reporting an issue. In that respect, you have a very valid question.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Thursday in Jira

Mission-critical battery manufacturer fulfills FAA software requirements with Commit Policy Plugin

EaglePicher Technologies is a leading manufacturer of battery systems for diverse industries like defense, aviation, space or medical. As they operate in highly regulated industries, keeping a clear ...

168 views 0 2
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you