Accessing Backlog Issues on Kanban Boards via JIRA REST API

clueless_programmer May 14, 2024

Hi everyone,

I'm currently facing a challenge with accessing the backlog issues of a Kanban board using the JIRA REST API. Although there are solutions available for Scrum boards, they don’t seem to work with Kanban boards.

Here's what I've tried and found so far:

I also discovered this existing issue: JIRA Issue - Can't retrieve Kanban backlog issues, which describes the same problem.

Additionally, I know that classic Kanban boards traditionally do not include backlogs, but it is still possible to configure them to have a backlog section. (like)

Does anyone have a workaround or a solution for retrieving backlog items specifically from a Kanban board? Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
David Bakkers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 14, 2024

Hello @clueless_programmer 

There is no workaroud, it's a known bug, as described in JSWSERVER-16751.

The only true workaround is to migrate to Jira Cloud :) Barring that, add your vote to the bug and wait for it to be fixed.

clueless_programmer May 16, 2024

Hey @David Bakkers

I somewhat expected an answer like that.
Unfortunately, I am not in control of the server migration or the servers.

Thank you for your answer.

David Bakkers
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 17, 2024

Personally, I consider the most viable workaround to be.... don't use Kanban boards with backlogs, just use a Scrum board instead.

As you know, in classic Agile, Kanban boards don't have backlogs.

Like clueless_programmer likes this
clueless_programmer May 23, 2024

Hi @David Bakkers

FYI, the solution I figured out to solve this issue is that I created a script which retrieves all the issues from our project and then manually filters them down as they appear on our board.

Suggest an answer