Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

we do actually need multiple Done statuses in sprint completion.

Codedady November 16, 2021

i was so troubled with our workflow and sprints since we have two completion statuses.

first of, for anyone looking for answers on

"how to add multiple status as done / resolved in jira sprint completion 

there is currently no such option , atleast not for now. ( 16-november-2021)

So as i said , i was troubled too much that our workflow contain two end statuses - discard and done . even if both are end status , both mean different to us.

discard is more severe and leads will definitely check why it is discarded - and in every sprint end meeting there will be a confirmation gesture for why it is discarded and some investigation why it ended up in sprint. (yeah it is boring and i am including this to show how important it is). 

i searched way too much even if there are not much easy documentation available for newbies like us. atlast i stumbled upon a dev comment (i guess) , which they explained the whole procedure , and a workaround - 

which  is to change the column of the desired status to right most column.

and that to set discard to done in our workflow. which will break the flow and will make it harder for us to access the reports accurately (still it is inaccurate - but we move the discarded to new sprint plan named discarded tickets.  which make the other reports to be accurate) f 

so this discussion is open to show that it will be nicer if there is a option whether
1 - to include all the green/done columns as sprint complete 
2- only the right most green/done statuses. 
3- only one right most column .

hope jira community will be with me.
thanks in advance,
Codedady solutions

1 comment

Comment

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 17, 2021

Go back to what Agile processes look at as "done".  It works out to "this team needs to pay no more attention to this".  They really don't care about issues that have got into done and if there are status beyond that in the process, it's nothing they will be needing to work on.

So, technically, no, you do not need more than one "done".   When an issue is done, the team doesn't do anything else with it.  

That is the important point - this "done" is not a status or part of the overall process, it is for the team using the board.  I tend to call it team-done

And that's why your options 1 and 2 don't really help much.  When an issue reaches team-done, the team the board represents no longer needs to know anything about it.  What's the use of 6 "done" columns, when your team won't be doing anything with them?

But it certainly can be useful to have more than one status showing done, both for "reason its done" and "there are other steps to cover outside this team":

• Issue cancelled, rejected or killed off for some reason you might want to report them as "not done, but still team-done"
  • Or when your board is for a development team, but the process includes steps to get it deployed for example, there are status beyond the primary team-done, but the team don't care about those, they're still all team-done

And, because Jira allows you to put more than one status into the done column, you can do that.  The neatest solution for the team's board is for the team-done to be represented as a single column, with all those extra done status that the team doesn't care about in it, so their reporting remains accurate.

Like Jean Gordon likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events