"~" does not work with "Support Team"

Deepak Patnaik June 16, 2022

Hello,

it is observed that operator "~" does not work with "Support Team" 

if we enter"Support Team" ~ "JDE*" it does not shows any result.

Can you please explain what is the way to get the result for support team where a keyword JDE is found

Regards

Deepak Patnaik

2 comments

Comment

Marco Brundel
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 16, 2022

Hi @Deepak Patnaik ,

The correct JQL depends on the type of custom field.
What type of field is "Support team" in your Jira?

And if you search for a basic filter on the "Support team" field, what option do you get to fill in?

Regards, Marco

See also documentation about JQL

Like Deepak Patnaik likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 16, 2022

Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

~ only works with variable text fields.  I suspect your team field is a selection type field, which have a fixed range of values, and hence only support searching for the options, not partial searches of the option names.

Your search probably needs to be done by calling out the exact options you are looking for - Team in (JDE-1, JDE-ABC, Support-JDE, etc)

Like # people like this

Thanks for your reply and yes i agree with you.

I tried using in operator but the problem is if i put all the JDE team names, the length is exceeding 1000 character and it shows error message in smart filter.

As all the team name starts with JDE it would be easy to use ~ "JDE*" but it does not work :( 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 16, 2022

Why do you have so many JDE support teams listed?  The need to search by text suggests your data is structured incorrectly in Jira, and you should be considering other ways to do it. 

I don't know your data or your business, so I can't make any strong recommendations, but I do suspect you should be splitting up your projects, or, if it really does need to be one field, using a cascading select list rather than a select list with thousands of options.

Like Marco Brundel likes this

So many support team because we have two team level 1 and level 2 (escalation) for every module of JDE.  And due to this length is exceeding 1000 character. Like JDE we have 15 other towers and I want to create a dashboard by tower.  To track JDE tower i want to put all support team falling under it and similarly for other towers as well. And I cannot split it because it will show inaccurate statistics by way of chart and graphs.

Deepak Patnaik June 17, 2022

@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- , @Marco Brundel  Pease let me know if you find a work around or any solution to this.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 17, 2022

So why aren't you using a cascading select?  Or at least storing the "module" in a separate field so that you can do easy searches like "support team = JDE and module = xyz"?

Like Marco Brundel likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events