Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

issueLinkType is not finding negative results

Ron Feldman November 4, 2021

Using Jira cloud

Following Advanced search reference - JQL fields cloud documentation.

This clause:

and issueLinkType = "is tested by"

returns 3 results, as expected.

This clause:

and issueLinkType != "is tested by"

returns 0 results, whereas about 8 are expected.

1 comment

Comment

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 4, 2021

I think you've run into the thing where humans are not as logical as computers and assume "not there" is the same as "is not".  We are not good a negative logic.

Let's say you've got 11 issues, 3 have links of type "is tested by", 6 have links of another type, and the last 2 have no links.

When you say "issueLinkType != "is tested by", a human will get the logic wrong, and answer 8. 

But that's logically wrong, because there's actually only 6 that have links that are not of that type.  The other 2 don't have links, so they can't have links that are not of that type.  Neither do they have links that are of that type.

My guess is your about-8 issues don't have any links.  So they don't have any links that are not "is tested by"

Roman Wolf November 4, 2021

Try to extends your JQL query in the way:

(issueLinkType != "is tested by" OR issueLinkType is EMPTY)

I ran into this problem myself wondering why and where the rest disappears, "is EMPTY" comes to the rescue for some of fields.

Roman

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events