Why is it so difficult to create a linked hierarchy for an organizational view?

David Woolley March 19, 2018

Hello All,

Sorry for the long post... just hoping someone can provide some insight to help me figure out why I'm struggling and if I'm expecting too much from the the Atlassian platform.

I've been testing out Jira Service Desk and Confluence for a couple of months now to determine if it's a good fit to replace to our old antiquated helpdesk software and documentation system. I like it so far although I've had to spend quite a bit of time battling some things that I think should be easier... mostly formatting stuff. One hope that I had going into it was that this could be a platform that could link Organizational Objectives, Initiatives, Projects, and Tasks to provide all levels of our organization with real-time visibility, and control of, status, workloads, and priorities. The videos and documentation I've seen seem to point to this as a something the Atlassian platform is designed to do...

https://youtu.be/AYZ2NDRNJFM?t=26m53s
http://atlassianblog.wpengine.com/2015/04/jira-portfolio-fundamentals/

With that in mind I began a Portolio trial and started working on configuring the hierarchy and linking everything together. After spending many hours on it I must say I'm quite frustrated. Between trying to correlate Themes, Epics, Stories etc with Goals, Initiatives, Projects, etc., and reading post after post indicating that you can't link this with that I'm exhausted. Seems to me that my struggles lie with the fact that this is really a platform designed for software developers and using it to achieve a holistic organizational view was an after-thought as is evidenced by the limitations of the back-end database when it comes to linking top level themes all the way to low level tasks. I was really hoping to just be able to easily enter our organizational objectives, initiatives, projects, and tasks and link them together with simple drop-downs.

Am I asking too much or not thinking about this in the right way? Any insight/thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance for the feedback.

-Dave

0 comments

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events