Why, in 2020, is atlassian hosted JIRA so slow?

Joe Buczek May 19, 2020

I've seen lots of posts about poor performance being related to server side configuration. Our company pays Atlassian to host our JIRA server, so I am going to assume that it is correctly configured(?).  From my seat, as a dev running on Ubuntu LTS 18.x with Firefox 76.0.1, I expect that it should be a pretty decent experience. But no. Page loads of tickets take seconds. A speed test of my link says ~7Mbps down, ~5.5Mbps up. Definitely not blazing, but for loading tickets, which ought not to be giant multimedia extravaganzas, I'd expect a second or two, but no. I haven't spent my time investigating this, but it feels like a ton of script crap running on the page bogging it down.

A few years ago, JIRA used to be fast.  Now it is not. Can anyone offer tips to improve client side performance of JIRA + Ubuntu LTS 18.x + Firefox 76.x?

Thanks.

3 comments

Comment

Justin Higgs May 20, 2020

I'm on FF on Windows (use Mac for work most of the time but trying to get back to Windows and Linux) and yeah it is absolutely horrendous. I can't drag and drop ticket cards on a next-gen board because there's like a 5 to 7 second lag for it register dragging. Trying to open a ticket in a board takes upwards of 4 seconds. Feels like there's a bunch of extra JS running in the page that is completely hogging threads and making Jira unusable.

Like Joe Buczek likes this
Joe Buczek August 18, 2020

Anecdotal... I recently tried running on Brave instead of FF and performance is definitely better. Not great, but better. If you're having performance issues, as I did, this helped.

Maybe Atlassian ought to consider that devs don't want to spend so much time sitting in JIRA and waiting for pages to render, and offer a ticket view that disables a lot of the add on script goop that is there only for project managers or others.

Geovanny Carrillo September 8, 2020

Hi Everyone. End users from one of my clients were experiencing the same issue. After digging into some forums and consulting with my team back and forth, we realized that Firefox uses a separate DNS server that's being pushed over HTTPS by default since February 2020 for US users. Disabling "Enable DNS over HTTPS" in Firefox was what took care of the issue. This can be found in the Networks Settings options in Firefox. I hope this helps.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events