Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are Jira forms still in the 90's?

Ricardo_Gomes March 3, 2022

Hi,

I know there are multiple discussions on the subject and I don't want to beat the dead horse here, but the truth is that none of those discussions are conclusive or satisfactory when it comes to providing a solution or option to these questions. Simply because there is no solution when it comes to dynamic forms and Jira Cloud.

Now, I understand forms were very stiff and ugly static looking in the 90's, but come on! We're in 2022 and we still have to face the same inefficient and static forms to this day? But why?

I have been an Atlassian admin now for a few years but I still struggle to understand this -

See, when it comes to forms (and a quick disclaimer here: I know there's so much more to Jira then just forms - but this needs to stop being an excuse for Atlassian), Jira is all about forms! 

I asked one of the new onboarders into the company once: "what do you know about Jira?" - and he answered: "Not a whole lot, but I've used before and it's just basically a web form to create tickets and manage those tickets and fields later".

Of course, there are workflows, permissions, notifications, etc., but let's be honest - Jira is all about forms!

This leads to my point here - how come forms in Jira are so crippled? 

There are no dynamic forms at all, there are no dynamic fields, no fields grouping, no fields bundling based on previous selection, no dynamic fields creation, no fields hiding or revealing. Nothing, none of that!

So when we as Jira admins, have to create elaborate forms for our internal customers based on complex processes or business rules, we have to scramble more than scrambled eggs in a pan. The level of creativity has to be so high to try and alternatively provide solutions to our customers that I'm feel like like a Picasso for Jira (except that I don't have talent but mostly improvisation! Or talent for improvisation I should say...).

And most of the time, even with all creativity in the world (and I've done incredible things just by improvising solutions where there are product feature gaps), the solution will never be sophisticated and efficient, or easy to maintain. Simply because it's based on pure creativity and improvisation.

In many cases, however, like with the current subject, there is no solution. The lack of ability to manipulates the forms in Jira cripples any chance I have to truly succeed with my projects.

And why in the world do we call them custom fields when they have very little customization. 

I tried to create a field in the Cloud the other day that would pull options for a dropdown/select list field in Jira from an internal system we created for billing. All I needed was to load the dropdown with a few options coming from another database. Was that possible?? Of course not - you either have to pay for a plugin that is limited or become a Jira developer basically to create your own plugin! 

If you are a Jira admin, tell me how many times you wish you could actually customize your fields by integrating them with other systems. But this is just another little thing that is not possible with Jira.

All this takes me back to the question: why are Jira forms still in the 90's when it comes to forms?

For the sake of my point here I'm gonna say - Jira is all about forms! Users see forms! It all starts with forms and ends with forms in Jira. Tickets are forms.

How hasn't Atlassian invested in real, sophisticated, elaborated forms and fields up to this point?

New Jira view? That's a joke. Not even going to comment. It's like saying you're remodeling an old house and only changing new wallpapers. Not a real "new view" we were all expecting.

Don't get me wrong - I love Atlassian and their products. What a great thing they have here! But it is exactly because I care so much that I get so frustrated with it.

Not sure if there's someone within Atlassian really thinking about knocking down the UI walls of Jira and seriously talking about a real remodeling, or perhaps the walls can't be knocked down because they have bearing beams, or maybe there are serious architecture limitations, or God knows what is preventing them from advancing into the new century when it comes to forms.

And of course, I forgot to mention those that jump in to say - hey, there's a plugin that does that! Click here!

Well, my respect for the vendors that help Atlassian enhance their products but I honestly believe there should be boundaries when it comes to add-on. For Christ's sake - forms are so basic that, honestly, I don't think we need another third-party company to sell you another plugin to cover for a feature gap Atlassian left empty! Besides I think we pay more than enough to get basic features included.

Sorry, I had to let that out... But going back to forms now - Atlassian, since you're in the forms business, can you pls do forms well?

Any body else feels the same way here or am I alone??

0 comments

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events