Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What are your favorite methods of detecting problems in your JIRA instance?

Chris Buzon
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 12, 2021

I'm a huge fan of Dashboards for spotting potential ticket issues (missing values, misconfigured fields, etc), and I have a dashboard that opens when I start my PC every day, with a whole battery of 'negative' widgets.

By that, I mean that I proactively look for bad behaviors or problems that you may have to deal with later.  When the dashboard opens I hope to see a bunch of "No Data available" results, but if anything does return I know I have to do something with it.

For Example:

Open but Unresolved bugs:
statusCategory = Done AND resolution = unresolved

This widget is just looking for when some has closed a ticket, but hasn't assigned a resolution value to the ticket.  Most often this occurs when someone adds a new project and hasn't properly configured their workflow (post functions, popup screens, or automation rules)

Incorrect Link type for Initiative tickets
project = Enterprise AND "Initiative Ticket[Short text]" is not EMPTY AND "Initiative Ticket[Short text]" !~ "EB*" AND statusCategory not in (Done)

(this one is set up for us to make sure dependencies are tracked using the Structure plugin, which relies on the link type to determine hierarchy)

Do you, fellow Jira admins, have any favorite "Oh this is going to be a problem..." type queries?  

1 comment

Comment

Thorsten Letschert _Decadis AG_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 14, 2021

Hey @Chris Buzon ,

Not actually a 'problem' query but more of a monitoring thing I use on a regular basis, is the 'Two Dimensional Filter Statistics' with a grouping by project and resolution in order to determine which resolutions are still in use and which ones can be potentially removed to unclutter the system. The same can be applied to other fields and components, for example.

Cheers
Thorsten

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events