Can anyone share some good resources for Jira webhooks for dummies? I am new to jira and do not consider myself technical at all, but have some requirements that I believe might be met with webhooks.
Specifically, I need to be able to perform some validations on linked issues. As I understand this was a huge functionality gap for many years for cloud users, but in the last year Atlassian rolled out functionality supporting webhooks for issue link events (issuelink_created and issuelink_deleted) and some use cases MAY be handled using webhooks.
Not being technical, I'm struggling to get past the concepts and start testing things out. Can someone help me understand the following questions?
1. When I create the webhook for the Issue related event Issue link created and enable it is my cloud instance now listening for this event and firing the webhook? I'm sorry if this is the stupidest question ever. I see a lot of use cases where webhooks are triggered in the workflow, but that doesn't apply for my linked issues, so I'm unclear if there's further action I need to do here.
2. Also maybe a stupid question to the more technical crowd... Does it make sense for my Jira cloud instance to send a webhook to itself? If so, how do I determine my URL? Do I need to set something up, or does it come with the cloud instances? I understand the purpose of these are more for communicating with external systems so they don't have to poll for updates, but I was going to try to leverage the webhook simply because it was the only place I could find that allowed me to leverage an "issue link created" event without writing custom code.
3. Lastly, is the webhook called asynchronously? I'd like to prevent the issue link from completing if certain validations don't pass. I assume since the event is "issue link created" that the event is completed before the webhook is called. Is that correct?
At the end of the day I have 2 goals to reach nirvana, and I am trying to use a webhook to let me know when an issue link occurs so I can try to make the checks.
1. Prevent a user from linking issues of a certain link type if some of the fields don't match (i.e. both need location = US, else fail the link and show an error to the user)
2. Prevent a user from linking an issue of a certain issue type to more than one issue of another type and link type (i.e. booking issues can only be included in one contract issue, else fail the link and show an error to the user)
If there's someone who has the energy and patience to give me some direction / feedback / handholding I would be most grateful!
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!Find an event
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!
Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.Host an event