Validator to make a "Required" Custom Field to be "Optional" only in the Create Issue Transition

Joseph Pursel October 19, 2017

I have a use case which requires a Single Select - Single Choice Custom Field to be “Required” in every transition and in every status except the Create Issue Transition. I would like to know how to use a Behaviour or Validator to make the Custom Field “Optional” during the Create Issue Transition only as it is set to “Required” in the project Field Configuration and must be Required after issue creation.

I created a Behaviour to set the Custom Field "Optional" during the Create Issue Transition. I mapped the Behaviour to the Story Issue Type and my test project. My Behaviour code is below:

def selectCFValue = getFieldByName("CPM:Type of Change?").getValue()
def cpmTypeOfChange = getFieldById("customfield_12085")

if (selectCFValue != "NULL")
    cpmTypeOfChange.setRequired(true)
else
    cpmTypeOfChange.setRequired(false)

Testing the Behaviour failed with the CPM: Type of change?: CPM: Type of change? is required - Error Message at the top of the Create Issue Screen.

I also used the JIRA Suite Utilities Field Required Validator to attempt to make the "Required" field optional. This provided the same error as above.

The Custom Field is not on our Create Issue Screen but is on our Edit and View Screen for managers to categorize the Reporters input. We want to force the field to contain a selection at all times after issue creation.

Comments and suggestions on how to accomplish the use case will be gratefully accepted and appreciated.

Thank you,

Joe

0 comments

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events