Using JIRA for Getting Things Done (GTD)

This atlassian blog article comments that i can use JIRA as a task list for work(team) tasks and personal tasks. 

https://www.atlassian.com/blog/add-ons/6-ways-to-be-more-productive-to-do-list

(6. (JIRA users) Distinguish your JIRA issues from your personal to-dos. 
If you’re a JIRA user, you’re familiar with using issues to plan, track, and report on your work. Your JIRA issues are items set for the whole team to view. But, your to-dos are personal items you set yourself in order to record an idea, achieve a goal, or finish a project. If you incorporate a to-do list with JIRA, you can write to-dos, ideas, reminders, and steps that only you need to know about, and still directly connect them to an issue in JIRA.)

How would i do that? Create a seperate project and only assing myself permissions?

4 comments

Thomas Schlegel Community Champion May 09, 2017

Hi Ben,

yes, exactly. We have these "personal projects" in our Jira. 

Maarten Cautreels Community Champion May 09, 2017

Hi Ben,

I've created a TODO project within my Company's JIRA which can be used by everone but only the reporter and assignee can see the issue. Somehow the project is a personal TODO list :-)

This is just a plain project with a simple workflow (TODO - In Progress - On Hold - Done), the special thing lies in the Permission Scheme. Here I've given most of the permissions to the Reporter and Assignee only. This makes sure only them have access to the issues.

Here's a screenshot of the Permission Scheme: 

Project TODO   Project Permissions   De Persgroep JIRA.png

I've also setup a simple Kanban board with 4 columns to match the workflow and a simple filter: 

project = TODO

The Permission Scheme takes care of the fact that only the reporter and/or assignee can view their issues on the board.

You could even take this a step further by including the TODO project in the filter of your current board. Every user using the board will only see his/her issues.

Hope this helps.

Best,

Maarten

Thats actually genius!

Way easier than creating a seperate project for every staff member!

To be honest I "stole" it from somewhere else, but can't remember where I've read about it. :-)

If im correct, this scheme would work well for personal tasks (pay my home water bill) and work related tasks (create contract). ?

Yes exactly, using this Scheme only the Reporter and Assignee will be able to view and use the issue. So some collaboration is still possible if you create an issue (you are reporter) and assign it to someone else (he/she is assignee).

Best,

Maarten

Maarten - probably saw it on "Answers".  Or OSQA, or Jive.  I've been rattling it off here as a standard setup since JIRA 3.0.3 was released!

But
1.  I stole it from Neal Applebaum or Matt Doar, and other people have posted it too.

2.  If you're on JIRA 6 or lower, it won't work - it needs the "reporter browse" thing enabled.  They fixed that in 7, so you can now use just reporter.

My only gripe is with this setup is - if i have a task with status "waiting for someoone else" on my kanban board, and assign that task to someone else, if they move the status to "next actions", it will also update on mine. 

Yes, that's correct, the issue status has been changed, so the board shows you the new status.  I'm not sure why that is a problem, although it suggests the workflow is not quite right.

You're right.

So GTD uses an

• In(Backlog) - for braindrumping and inserting EVERY input or thought in your life (pay bill, learn chinese etc)

The process then is to convert the backlog in to either

• Next Actions - tasks you can actually do
  • Someday/Maybes - things you have on your mind that you might get done one day
  • Projects - big things that require more than 1 next action
  • Waiting on someone else - tasks that are on hold becuase you are waiting on someone else.
  • Done - completed tasks

Hense the waiting on someone else tasks and assigning to someone else wont work properly.

Im trying to think of a workaround. 

Suggestions welcome.

Hi Ben, 

Instead of changing the status that person could simply unassigned it when he/she is done. That way, it'll be clear for you that no one needs to do anything for it anymore and it remains in de same status. 

Best, 

Maarten 

And yes Nic, there's a big chance I read it here. And in that case there's a big chance it came for you! Thanks

when you say a "plain project" to start - is that a business project, or an agile project?  I want to do this, but not even sure where to start.

Is there a way I can use this permission scheme (only assignee or reporter access issues), but also have some issues that everyone can access?

Maarten Cautreels Community Champion Jun 01, 2017

Hi Ben,

You could achieve these things with Issue Level Security. This way you can configure permissions on an issue-by-issue basis. 

I suggest you read through the documentation I shared and give it a try (probably best on a TEST environment or project first).

Best,

Maarten

Will this work with Jira Cloud, or do you need to have your own server for Jira?

This works in any version of Jira - server or cloud - as long as you have the administrative privileges to set up the proper permissions.

Comment

Community showcase
Posted Sep 25, 2018 in Jira

Atlassian Research Workshop opportunity on Sep. 28th in Austin, TX

We're looking for participants for a workshop at Atlassian! We need Jira admins who have interesting custom workflows, issue views, or boards. Think you have a story to sha...

465 views 7 5
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you