Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to customize Issue Summary while creating rules in Jira using Project Automation

Chetan Kumar June 22, 2021

Hi,

I am using Project Automation - Jira plugin in my project.

Problem Statement:

Create a rule which should trigger for a condition:

When Issue status changes from Open to Under Review

and Issue.Type = Software Delivery

Then

Create a new Sub task With SPECIFIC TITLE as one generic string: see below: 

e.g. TITLE should be = "ABCDE - [parent Issue Key] [Parent issue Summary]"

I tried using Smart Values mentioned in Jira doc but looks like {{ }} is not picking up the value:

my attempt:

Please see attached screen for reference

Jira-Automation-json.JPG

Please have a look and see what i am missing here:

output is :

Actual output:

Summary Title = IRR Review JSON TT

Expected Output:

Summary Title = IRR Review JSON TT [Parent Issue.key] [parent issue.Summary]

1 comment

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 22, 2021

Hi @Chetan Kumar  -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Looking at the image of your rule, it appears you are trying to set the value of Summary twice in the new sub-task: with the Summary field value and with JSON. 

Please try to remove the JSON under more options and just paste your text and smart values into the field value.

Best regards,

Bill

Chetan Kumar June 22, 2021

Thanks Bill for replying, actually tried that option at the very start but did not work, hence tried the more options field, as you can see in the output it is taking value from more option field only (IRR Review JSON TT) not from the Summary field itself (IRR review)

I have tried as you have mentioned but still the final output is not what i expected. please advise, below screenshot for reference. 

Actual output:

Summary Title = IRR Review

Expected Output:

Summary Title = IRR Review NUC-XXX parent task for this sub-task

Jira-Automation-json One.JPG

Like Ruslana Smirnova likes this
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 23, 2021

Hi!  To help focus a bit, I am using Cloud, not Server version; so my results may be different from yours...

• When called from a sub-task issue type: {{issue.parent}} returns the key and {{issue.parent.summary}} returns the summary
  • When called from a story or bug, these will not return the epic.  To get at those you would need to use a branch with JQL on the epic link.

The way your rule is written, it appears that "Software Delivery" issue type is at the same level as Story, not Sub-Task.  So {{issue.parent}} does not work.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events