cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tracking issues estimates vs actual dev time

Matthieu Massart March 23, 2020

Hi everyone, 

Here is my problem. I would like to automatically compare two things:

1. An estimated dev time in days (eg: 6) 

I was planning on collecting 1. in a custom field which I could then automatically be exported to google sheets to do my analysis (thanks to a plug-in). The estimated dev time would be inputted manually so there are no issues with data collection here.

2. The actual dev time 

This would be defined as the difference between the date at which development starts (issue = in progress) and the date at which it ends (issue = done). Both "in progress" and "done" are steps in our Jira workflow.

I was hoping to get both dates in two different custom fields to then export this information to google sheets to do my analysis (computing the actual dev time and then comparing the result with 1.) 

If an issue changes to "in progress" tomorrow, how do I get tomorrow's date in a custom field?

Thanks in advance :) 

PS: feel free to let me know if you know of a different approach to this problem!

1 comment

Comment

Sami Linnanvuo {Screenful}
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
April 19, 2020

Hi Matthieu, 

You can create such a report using the custom charts feature of the Screenful add-on. Here's an example report showing two trend lines: one for the estimated dev time (using a custom field) and another for the actual cycle time measured from when work was started to the completion of the issue:

Screenshot 2020-04-20 at 1.06.17.png

This chart is showing a 30 days rolling average from all the completed issues during the last 3 months. There's a 21 day free trial so you can give it a try with your own data.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events