Tracking 3 workstreams in one project

Rudolph Dreyer May 5, 2023

Hi all,

I would like to get the communities input on different ways you have configured 1 jira project to track the work of 3 different work streams.

To clarify:

1 backlog, 3 work streams

4 Epics

Between 3-6 Phases within each Epic  and multiple tasks that needs to be performed within each phase.

The Epics, Phases & Tasks are the same for all of the work streams.

Currently I'm leaning towards creating the different works streams as components, but I'm not sure how best to represent the different phases, Perhaps as releases?

I would really appreciate some input.

2 comments

Comment

Esther Strom
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 5, 2023

Hi, @Rudolph Dreyer - welcome to the Community!

You don't mention if you're using sprint or kanban. In my experience (which, caveat, is limited to one company, although 10 years there), if your three work streams are handled by different teams on different sprint schedules, it can get messy having them work in a single project.

If they're all on the same sprint schedule, though (or you're doing kanban), it sounds like you're on the right track. Components to indicate which work stream; you can use quick filters, card colors, or swimlanes on your board if you want a visual way to differentiate/separate the work streams. Releases to indicate whatever "Phase" means to you. 

Like Rudolph Dreyer likes this
Wolfgang -Litew8 GmbH-
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 15, 2023

Hi @Rudolph Dreyer

Have you thought about utilizing multiple boards in one project. 

Project manager, product owner want a combined board with one backlog for all workstreams, so be it. Splitting up the workstreams into components would work, as long as you do not need this field otherwise.

The teams working on the workstream might need their own board that is filtered to display only the work items from that workstream.

In regards to 3-6 Phases within each Epic, that sounds to me like unique workflow for epics and each status representing one phase.

Like Rudolph Dreyer likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events