Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To clasify process, what do you prefer? Lots of issuetypes or lots of customfields?

laralg
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 6, 2019

Hello,

Recently I am working for a new Jira that needs a lot of kanban projects, each project/team its different and they have their own way of doing things.

They have provided status for their boards and some fields to clasify their issues. But I am not sure what is better for them. Different issuetypes for each field, of a single issuetype with a select list to clasify them.

Important, these fields are for different process.

PRO issuetypes:
You select what you want the moment you open the issue, the screen can depend on the issuetype, and the workflow.

PRO customfields.

A select list is more clean, you have one issuetype for everything and then a  single select list for each project where they can choose what that issues is going to be about.

I love to hear how you make kanban for different teams, specially not IT, and how do you make them clasify their issues.

Do you use a single Task and then clasify or a issuetype that is more familiar to them?

1 comment

Comment

Ravi Sagar _Sparxsys_
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 6, 2019

I would say don't rely on just custom fields or issue types. Have a balance of both.

Creating too many custom fields can impact the performance. Create common Issue Types doing similar things with similar custom fields. Use custom field contexts and field configurations to optimise the usage of the custom fields. Two Issue types can have same screen with same set of custom fields but based on field configuration you can hide some fields.

Issue types give clarity for the end user in selecting the type of issue they are raising. Having just one issue type can be confusing.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events