The Automation - Automatic transfer sub-task from one status to another

Przemek April 5, 2022

Hello Everyone!!

Please help in this task.

I would like to build a rule that automatically changes the status of one sub-task (from Submitted to Input Available) when another sub-task changes its status (from In progress to Done). Both sub-tasks belong to the same main task.

What links I should have between those sub-tasks?

Thank you in Advance!

2 comments

Comment

Kevin Bui
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 5, 2022

Hi @Przemek ,

You can accomplish what you've described in two steps:

1. Link the two subtasks together (you could even create an automation rule to do this) using a specific link type that you would use just for this scenario, and
  2. Create an automation rule to transition your subtask. The rule would have this general format:

Screen Shot 2022-04-05 at 6.05.19 pm.png

Hope that helps!

Przemek April 5, 2022

You are amazing!

Thank you for such a quick reply. The rule works.

Now it's just a matter of building rules that will be adapted to the task contains 20 sub-tasks.

Przemek April 19, 2022

Hello @Kevin Bui 

Maybe you can help me again :-)

My rule will work for a Sub-Task, but how to build a rule to only work for a sub-tasks from the same main task? Probably, I must use the appropriate option in Branch rule / related issue?

Not for project = OCP but for sub-tasks which pass the criteria and are only in the same main task. Also whether it impossible without links between all sub-tasks from the same main task.

THANKS!

Screenshot 2022-04-19 at 13.52.42.png

Kevin Bui
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 2, 2022

Hello again @Przemek - sorry for the late response!

If I'm understanding you correctly, the rule you want is When issue transitions -> Transition the issue's subtasks too.

If so, you can accomplish that with the following:

• Trigger: Issue transitioned
  • Branch: Related issues > Subtasks

Here's a screenshot for reference:

Screen Shot 2022-05-03 at 11.48.24 am.png

Hope that helps!

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events