Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Structure Formula Column Parsing Text

Andy Conley May 12, 2020

This was driving me a bit nuts, so I thought I'd share in case it might help others as an example.

We are using Jira with Structure/Structure.Gantt.

There is a custom controlled field that represents our internal company projects that follows this pattern:

<4-8 numbers>:<string>

Examples:

• 1028:My Project
  • 2382-2828:Your Project

Use Case:

I simply wanted to display the project name/string without the numbers as a column (or grouping) in my structure. 

Solution:

REPLACE_AT(project,0,SEARCH(":",project,0),"")

Using the docs from ALM's site, I landed on the combination of REPLACE_AT and SEARCH.

REPLACE_AT allows me to remove the characters from the delimiter (:), but since the delimiter position was variable, I was able to use SEARCH to identify it's location.

I really wanted to define the SEARCH portion as a separate variable utilizing WITH, but I couldn't quite get that working.

If there is a more efficient way or suggestions on WITH, please share!

1 comment

Comment

Stepan Kholodov _ALM Works_
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 13, 2020

Hi Andy,

You can indeed use with statement here:

with index=SEARCH(":", project,0):
REPLACE_AT(project,0,index,"")

An alternative would be to use

REPLACE(project, "/[0-9:]/", "")

Best regards,
Stepan Kholodov
ALM Works

Like # people like this
JL March 6, 2023

I hate to resurrect an old post, I have an issue close to this as well. Though I am trying to search for numbers for a build in the summary. I have a new post that isn't getting much tracking. But this thread got me the closest to getting it.

Really appreciate if anyone has suggestions or solutions.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events