Source of Truth: Jira or Confluence?

aaron.deyonker July 15, 2020

We are a SAAS company.

We move quickly with 2 week sprints.

No matter how much we attempt to make Confluence the "Source of Truth" for requirements, we consistently overload Jira tickets with acceptance criteria/requirement changes that make the corresponding Confluence content out of date.  When we need to understand the actual functionality, after the fact (like for support, customer facing documentation), it's buried in Jira somewhere.

How do folks:

Balance documentation between Jira and Confluence - what is the source of truth?

How do you keep the Source of Truth updated in an efficient manner?

1 comment

Comment

Marco July 17, 2020

Hi,

I have exactly the same problem. Well, let‘s say a similar problem. Currently, the connection between Confluence and Jira is not working. This only amplifies the issue. 

For me, the capabilities of Confluence in terms of documentation are much better compared to Jira. So, using it for documenting AND planning seems to be logical. Daily work, as the experience shows, is happening where the tickets (Epics, UserStories, Tasks) are. Jumping to another tool, even if it‘s better suited for documenting, is a disruption and simply too much effort for the lazy human. Even if the connection between the tools work.

It‘s only because I have trouble jumping back and forth that I started to think about that. 
The more steps you have to do, the more duplicate data is involved (maintain the info in two locations) the less likely it is that everybody sticks to the process. So, what is the best way to do it?

As always, there is no black and white. But there is a way it‘s more likely that it will work: reduce friction. As with every product or process finding the best was involves iteration.

Define. Use. Gather experience. Improve.

I try to do the heavy lifting in  Confluence. Everything in Jira is focussing on getting things done. And if the connection between these two works it get‘s a little easier. But, there is no doubt, you have to find YOUR way and make it work. 

Marco

Like Nic Brough -Adaptavist- likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events