Run a search before saving it

Colum McAndrew July 12, 2021

Is there a reason why when changing a previously saved filter, you have to run the search before it can be saved? I do find it a little annoying. Why not just let me save the change with a single keystroke?

1 comment

Comment

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 12, 2021

Because that bypasses some of the checks that your new filter isn't junk.  The syntax check is basic and only checks syntax. 

Running the filter allows you to check that it actually does what you are expecting and that it doesn't break horribly despite the syntax being ok.

You'd be horrified how many people used to post "my filter broke" here during a brief period where you didn't have to run it before saving.   The community, as it was then, let alone Atlassian support, wasted 90% of their efforts on those versions of Jira on it!

Like Colum McAndrew likes this
Colum McAndrew July 13, 2021

OK thanks Nic. I just seemed a little silly when all I was doing was adding another status to my query, but I get it.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 13, 2021

I know, it does seem like the syntax check should be enough to enable the save button, and for a lot of us, it probably is.  But there are enough people in the minority who inadvertently write bad JQL to justify a quick test before saving.  (I'm in that minority by the way - I get over-confident about my JQL skills sometimes, and it's a nice reminder that I'm not that good...)

Like Colum McAndrew likes this
Colum McAndrew July 13, 2021

Don't we all :-)

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events