Release management across different jira projects.

ambujp July 14, 2020

Need your help to figure out something..

Suppose we have 3 Mobile app development teams (Team A JIRA, Team B JIRA, Team C JIRA) and they work to release 1 app. All of these teams have separate JIRA “PROJECT”. Not boards in same project, rather different projects (for some reasons).

Release is maintained from master JIRA Project (Master JIRA) which is also used for company wide roadmap management.  

Is there any way to configure release hub (link below) using Sprint Version rather than fix version.

Basically what i would like to see is, when i click say release version iOS 0.0.0 from Master JIRA Project -> Release -> iOS 0.0.0; i should see all the tickets across all the Project which contain "sprint = iOS 0.0.0"

While writing this i realized that some teams might have multiple sprints but ONE release, still let me stick to my question.

https://support.atlassian.com/jira-software-cloud/docs/use-the-release-page-to-check-the-progress-of-a-version/

3 comments

Comment

yurikudin July 14, 2020

Hi @ambujp ,

Unfortunately, Jira doesn't support cross-project releases out of the box. Such a problem could be solved by using an add-on. If you are already using Advanced roadmaps (Portfolio in the past) - you can solve the problem by using Roadmaps.

If not, I would like to suggest you using our add. We have created it to solve exactly the same problem which you have explained in your message.  

Release management for Jira/Release management & Roadmaps  for Jira cloud. 

The add-on is easy to use and it has a reasonable price.

By using the add on you could be able:

• Organize cross-project multi-version releases 
  • Create/update/archive versions in a bulk
  • Manage cross-project scope and progress in a single place. 
  • Define custom workflow for cross-project release and each version inside the release
  • ...and many more: lightweight roadmaps,  gadgets, reports, environments management, integration with Bitbucket, automated release notes, webhooks and rest API to automate release operation.

I hope it will have you to solve your problem. Also, please let me know if you would need any support with the configuration and adoption of the add-on.

Regards,

Yuri  

Like # people like this
Nikki Zavadska _Appfire_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 29, 2020

Hi @ambujp ,

as already mentioned, there isn't really a way to configure Release hub in Jira. Releases in Jira are Project specific by default.

1. Use JQL

What you can do is to name the Fix version in your 3 projects same and then use JQL to search issues that are being delivered in these Fix versions. Luckily enough if you use the same name you can do something like this:

fixVersion = TEC-1.0.0

and you'll get results of issues from all projects.

2. Or the app

There are also few apps on Atlassian Marketplace that are helping to solve this problem. One of them developed by our team at Jexo.

Swanly is a roadmap tool also focusing on releases and it's giving the option to create cross-project releases.

release detail copy.png

And also offers this cross-project report view 👇

Screenshot 2020-02-28 at 16.27.53.png

Here is a short article I published on this topic on Community 👉 https://community.atlassian.com/How-to-share-releases-between-projects-with-Cross-project 

I hope that helps, let me know if you have any questions 🤓

Nikki

Like # people like this
Jim Dolan June 29, 2022

Hi Nikki - this works for queries in JQL but unfortunety if you try to use any built in gadgets like Two Dimensional Filter Statistics it treats versions from differnt projects with the same name as seperate versions.  In this case if you chose fixVersion for columns you would see multiple columns with the same heading rather than resolving the versions into a single column - its really quite annoying for tracking releases.  Thx Jim

Marlene Kegel - codefortynine
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
July 6, 2022

Hi @Jim Dolan,

I am Marlene from codefortynine.

Our app Quick Filters for Jira Dashboards consolidates identically named "Fix Versions" in their statistics. You can see how the standard Two Dimensional Filter Statistics gadget displays statistics with multiple projects vs the "Quick gadget" in the screenshot below:

quick-filters-jira_fix-version2.png

codefortynine also provides a Jira cloud app called "Version Sync for Jira" which enables you to sync versions across projects. 

In the Version Sync - Releases Overview you can overview and manage releases across projects.

version-sync-jira_release-overview.png

Like Kalos Bonasia likes this
Nikki Zavadska _Appfire_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 6, 2022

Hi @Jim Dolan & @Marlene Kegel - codefortynine ,

that's some really good feedback! 🙌

We're just exploring the dashboard gadgets so I'll make sure to include these as well! I'll let you know once they're ready for you to try in Swanly, it shouldn't take too long 😊

Thank you! Nikki

Lewis Munene August 30, 2022

If all you want is to visualize releases from different projects in one view, then the best I've been able to do (without incurring any additional cost) is to create a dashboard and to add the "Jira Road Map" gadget to the dashboard, then you center the gadget so that it fills the screen.

Screenshot 2022-08-30 134323.png

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events