Recommended way of associating an issue with a specific functionality

Carl-Erik Kopseng October 7, 2020

There are lots of ways to groups and organize issues in Jira, but we are a bit lost as to how to make use of these features for a certain use case. 

Currently, I think we are misusing Epics to group issues relating to a functionality in the app. For instance, tasks relating to auditing is put in the "Auditing" epic, "Risk Screening Form" has tasks related to risk screening form, etc. 

While some of these are OK to have in a an epic, such as the risk form example, the problem is that new ones are added and the epic can kind of never be closed. So I was thinking of double-categorizing them by using Epic (for the original bigger task) and something else that will stick around no matter the actual status of the task. So either "Component" or "Label", not sure which is better suited. 

I have tried searching the docs for the intended purpose of either category, but I have been unable to find the intent of either. 

Could you enlighten me?

1 comment

Comment

Niranjan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 7, 2020

Hi @Carl-Erik Kopseng ,

As you said, there are different ways to group issues. I would recommend the usage of components

https://confluence.atlassian.com/advancedroadmapscloud/grouping-by-components-998651102.html

With components, the advantages can be

• Project admin can manage components
  • These components can be used to categorize issues and use them in filters
  • Each component can have a project lead.
  • Easier to implement. Add the component/s field to the create issue screen and make it mandatory.  
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events