Please abandon the new issue view

Peter Arnold September 9, 2021

When I first saw the "new" issue view, I honestly could not believe how much info was jumbled together on one page. 

I know things sometimes just need getting used to, and I tried, but it just isn't an effective view for me. I need information presented in a meaningful structure, that I can drill in and out of to focus on this or that detail, but this view just throws everything in your face at once.

Judging by all the posts, the new issue view seems to have a lot of problems and I hope Atlassian you will now reconsider imposing it on us. I feel it is a serious productivity blocker for people who don't work well with a mass of info all on one page.

The old "Edit" view is somewhat quirky but it at least allows us to have a "main" page and a "detail" page we can switch to when needed. Perhaps a tabbed view would be a better solution than throwing everything together on one page?

I feel it needs more analysis to come up with a really good UI and I hope Atlassian you will stop and rethink this now, and not take the old view away until a better solution is found.

1 comment

Comment

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 9, 2021

Hey @Peter Arnold ,

The new issue view has been something that is not/has not been easily accepted. I speak from experience that it's not something that I like at first either but like you said "we'll have to deal with it"

Atlassian has spent a lot of time in developing this and is still doing so, so I doubt it will go away anytime soon for something else.

You do mention that you would like tabs and that is part of the new issue view. If this is your main issue with it you can add tabs to the new issue view screen too..

image.png

Peter Arnold September 9, 2021

Hey @Dirk Ronsmans , thanks for your reply and I will look at the tabs as that sounds promising. I still have a bad feeling that the whole thing has been dumbed down so we can no longer do stuff we've long taken for granted... proper control of image sizing/placement/thumbnails, edit preview/help icons are two that spring to mind, and a lot more besides. Anyway, will look at the tabs now--thanks again.

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 9, 2021

Yeah I get it.. one way to try and push things in one direction or the other would be to open a support call (https://support.atlassian.com/contact) and ask them to raise it as a suggestion.

You can also watch this issue https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-70555?filter=102236

As you see there are still some subtasks/issues open related to the new issue view too so it is still being developed further

Peter Arnold September 15, 2021

About the tabs, I took the tour and read some of the "more info" page but so far nothing about tabs... a link would be appreciated as I'm not sure when I'll get a chance to read through the rest, and a lot of the stuff linked to from there isn't new anyway which is rather frustrating. So far the tabs seem to be a closely guarded secret! Thanks

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
September 15, 2021
Like Peter Arnold likes this
Peter Arnold September 15, 2021

Yeah, I may have missed that announcement, it's the "more info" link for the new issue view  that I'm referring to. So far I've spent time going through the linked Add files, images, and other content to describe an issue but sadly it doesn't explain what's happened to all the stuff we used to be able to do with images. In fact, other than saying the new view now uses markdown, virtually the whole of that rather large page is telling me stuff I already knew, not what's new in the new issue view at all. :( And that's only one of many links on the "more info" page for the new issue view. Hence saying I don't know when I'll have a chance to read it all. So THANK YOU for the tabs link, which will kick-start trying out the tabs.

Like Dirk Ronsmans likes this
Peter Arnold October 20, 2021

@Dirk I still haven't had a chance to look into this but assuming the screenshot below means what I think it does, as a user I can't do what you suggest :(

Image 645.png

Dirk Ronsmans
Community Leader
Community Leader
October 22, 2021

@Peter Arnold ,

That's true, you do need to have the proper admin rights to change the screens as these affect all users using that issue type.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events