Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No trend line in burndown chart

Diatta Harris August 24, 2022

My team recently started using Jira to track our body of work.  We are on our third, 2-week sprint.  The burndown chart continues not to display the gray trend line and only the orange line which is the actual work being completed.

Any idea why we aren't seeing the trend line in the burndown chart?  I do see it on the burnup chart.

Thanks.

2 comments

Comment

Nolan McConnell August 24, 2022

This might be because you don't have a start/end date on the sprint or no working days set on that board/project. Not sure if it would know what to predict if it doesn't know how long it is. 

Diatta Harris June 30, 2023

We do have a start and end date.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 25, 2022

Hello @Diatta Harris 

Are you working with a Company Managed project or a Team Managed project?

What is the Estimation Statistic for your scrum board? Story points, issue count, ...?

The gray trend line is based on the value of the Estimation Statistics sum for the issues assigned to the sprint when your sprint is started. Are you adding your issues to the sprint before starting it and also setting your estimates on the issues before you click the Start Sprint button? 

Hi @Trudy ClaspillThis is a Team Managed project.  We are using story point estimate for the statistic.  My tech lead is starting the sprints but he should be adding the issues prior to starting the sprint.  I will need to double check with him.  The story point estimates are added to the issues prior to being assigned to the sprint.  I manage another team's board and their burn down has the trend line.  We use story point estimates for the statistic there too.

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 30, 2023

You get a guildeline in the burnup chart but not the burndown chart, and you are looking at the same sprint in both charts?

Can you provide screen images of both charts for a given sprint?

Sure.  CRD Burn Down Chart.pngCRD Burn Up Chart.png

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 30, 2023

You are not getting a guideline in the burndown chart because your sprint has 0 points when you start it. I was able to replicate that behavior in my system.

This seems to be an inconsistency with the two charts. 

If you start your sprint with 0 for the Estimation value, then add estimation value after starting the sprint, the burnup chart will show a guideline but the burndown chart will not.

I have not yet searched to see if this is a known issue, a change request, or intended functionality.

The current sprint did have issues with story points and story point estimates in both fields BEFORE starting the sprint.  Which is why I keep asking why I don't have a burn down trend line.  The issues that transitioned to this current sprint also already had story point values.  We have several issues on our backlog that are already pointed.  The sprint isn't started until issues have been added to it.  

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
June 30, 2023

According to the images you provided, Jira has determined that there was no value for the Story point estimate field in the standard level issues assigned to the sprint when it started. Notice that the first dot is at 0 in both charts and then there is multiple increases after the start of the sprint.

Screen Shot 2023-06-30 at 2.05.42 PM.png

If you hover over the dot it will show you the summary information.

Screen Shot 2023-06-30 at 2.07.54 PM.png

In Team Managed projects when you have your Estimation metric set to Story Points, it is using the Story point estimate field. You must be using the Story point estimate field that is provided by default in Team Managed projects. Values in any other field that contains the name "story point" are irrelevant. Also, values on Subtasks are not counted.

You can look at the start date and time for the sprint and compare that to the history of the issues in the sprint to confirm that they were in the sprint before it started and that they had a Story point estimate value before the sprint was started.

The details below each chart will provide information about scope change - issues added/removed and for which the Story point estimate value was changed.

If you think Jira is not work in accordance with this design, feel free to share additional screen images showing the hove information for that start of sprint dot and history information for issues in the sprint.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events