Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Next Gen Projects

Val Terebizh May 28, 2021

I just want to let it be known that whoever designed the next-gen projects feature should be relieved from duties of ever running any project management tasks ever again.  

It would have been much better if there was an option for JIRA where you can choose to deploy ONLY next gen projects or ONLY classic within your account... Having the two under one environment is ridiculous.

Just my 2 cents.

2 comments

Comment

Aaron Geister
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 28, 2021

My opinion but I believe there is a reason to have both. One is the classic projects have more flexibility and next-gen have more limitations. They equally get the job done in specific situations. 

For less administration overhead the next-gen is the more reasonible project type to use. 

I could give you some examples. 

1st bigger ITSM projects that include multiple teams devs, and techs the classic would be the better of choice. 

For more internalized projects for small sets of users a next-gen might be a better use case. These can be easily set up for quicker out the box experience but easily manipulated or customized by the project lead without schemes and screens changes. 

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 29, 2021

I agree - most places have uses for both types of project and it's usually sub-optimal to have to have two different systems doing the same thing for the same people when one could be doing it.

Having the 2 types of project force the use of two systems would be ridiculous, having them both available in one place definitely is not.

Aaron Geister
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 29, 2021

We all have our opinions and I get what your saying and agree there should be a place to turn them off or on. For myself I like the option to help my clients provision projects based on need. Teaching them to administrate the team managed project reduces the over head of administration which in the long run saves them money if they out source their administration. 

There are definitely spaces where next-gen or team managed project will never be an option. 

I also understand that in some environments next will not be needed and therefore there should be an option to turn them off. 

On the sidebar where you have the option to pick your project type would be awesome to have a header above the project types with a selection of classic or next-gen. 

Linda Milne_Togetha Group_
Solutions Partner
Solution Partners provide consulting, sales, and technical services on Atlassian products.
May 31, 2021

Different strokes for different folks. I like and use them both, depends on what the application is. Having both gives more flexibility. But if you really dont like it remove permission to create next-gen projects (global permissions).

Like Aaron Geister likes this
Aaron Geister
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 31, 2021

I so agree! It's an easy fix. 

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events