New pagination feature in Jira Automation

Brock Jolet March 8, 2022

I understand that being on the cloud platform means we will get updates to the UI from time to time, but sometimes those changes are inconvenient.

Today I noticed an update to the Automation results that introduced pagination. This in itself is fine, but there should be an option to display ALL rules and more importantly it should remember your preference. Having the maximum be 50 results is unnecessarily inconvenient.

Did anyone ask for this change?

6 comments

Comment

Maksim Marholin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 8, 2022

Hi @Brock Jolet!

Thanks for your feedback.

This is an intentional change, and there is some justification for that.

Just wanted to ask if ALL option is needed to quickly scroll to the needed rule, and if so if you can use filter and search to achieve the same. Do you have any feedback regarding this functionality?

We understand it might be less convenient for you, and we could consider adding bigger page sizes in the future.

I've created a ticket to track your request https://codebarrel.atlassian.net/browse/AUT-2378.

Please, keep providing your feedback (and that applies to anyone interested), as it will count as an upvote for this request. You can either use a feedback form or community post for that.

Best regards,

Maksim

Like # people like this
Brock Jolet March 9, 2022

Hello @Maksim Marholin ,

I name my rules so that I can quickly recognize their function. In some situations, I have many rules that do very similar things with slight variations (i.e. create a clone in a specific project).

Yesterday I was taking stock of existing rules and filling in gaps. I needed to quickly reference many rules at a time. In this instance, it was faster to scroll than to type a keyword into the search box, then erase it and type in another keyword. However, since the page was limited to 50 results, I was forced to click through the pages to find the rules I needed to reference.

Maksim Marholin
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 9, 2022

@Brock Jolet got it.

While the page sizes are limited to 50 have you considered using custom labels to tag your rules based on their function?

This way you could filter them with 1 click. It still doesn't remove the pagination, and if you have let's say 100 rules with the similar function you'll need to click through the pages.

Maybe it's a bit faster way of getting a subset of your rules without typing anything.

Julia Foden April 1, 2022

Hi @Maksim Marholin 

Has this ticket been brought to your attention? https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSWCLOUD-22819 ?

The pagination feature has brought with it a degradation in functionality. It is now impossible to sort by 'Enabled/Disabled'. 

Additionally the project automation pages now display ALL labels used in the site, whereas before it was only the labels used by that project. A long list of irrelevant labels, not ordered and not able to be ordered is not useful. 

It used to be easy to navigate project automation rules: click on the label then sort by enabled. Now it is impossible to navigate.

This is beyond frustrating - can you please expedite a return to the functionality that was there before pagination was introduced?

Also, what is the best way to raise issues with the Automation team? How do JSWCLOUD-22819 and AUT-2378 relate to each other?

Like # people like this
Maksim Marholin
Atlassian Team
April 3, 2022

Firstly, some good news - we've added 100 and 200 items as page size options, hopefully this will help @Brock Jolet a bit.

Secondly, thanks @Julia Foden for your questions! Let me answer them one by one.

1. "Has this ticket been brought to your attention?"

Nope, I haven't seen this specific ticket, but we know for sure some people are missing the sorting functionality, and discussing the priority of that with the team.

I have also added that to AUT-2378 to have it in one place, and also linked the tickets.

2. "The pagination feature has brought with it a degradation in functionality" and "can you please expedite a return to the functionality that was there before pagination was introduced?".

We have removed certain functionality indeed, and this has been made intentionally, as you probably seen in the comments of JSWCLOUD-22819.

We are now gathering the feedback and considering to bring some things back depending on the amount of requests and their complexity, so please keep raising your concerns.

3. "Additionally the project automation pages now display ALL labels used in the site, whereas before it was only the labels used by that project."

Thanks, I have added that to AUT-2378 as well.

4. "Also, what is the best way to raise issues with the Automation team? How do JSWCLOUD-22819 and AUT-2378 relate to each other?"

These are different ways of raising requests, and any of them will reach Automation eventually.

We constantly monitor both Community posts and other channels, so feel free to use the one you prefer more.

Like # people like this
Charlie Gavey
Atlassian Team
April 10, 2022

Hi @Brock Jolet & @Julia Foden

Just a quick note to confirm that based on this feedback, we've prioritised two updates to the Rules list:

• Adding in sorting for the "Enabled" and "Name" columns 
  • Only showing the labels for the current project, so it's easier to filter by labels

These fixes should be released within the next 2 weeks - thanks for your patience on this one, and thanks again for taking the time to share this feedback!

Cheers,

Charlie

Like # people like this
Julia Foden April 11, 2022

Thank you @Charlie Gavey , I'm very glad to hear that news!

Maksim Marholin
Atlassian Team
April 20, 2022

Just a quick update to let you know, that we have released showing the labels for the current project only.

The sorting is on its way as well, and we're hoping to release it next week.

Like # people like this
Maksim Marholin
Atlassian Team
April 27, 2022

Just a quick update to let you know, that we have released sorting by rule name and "enabled/disabled" status.

Like # people like this
Julia Foden April 28, 2022

Thank you @Maksim Marholin ! It's great to have that back.

To avoid something like this happening again, do you have a panel of automation users for UAT? I use automation a lot and would be happy to take part.

Like # people like this
Charlie Gavey
Atlassian Team
May 3, 2022

Hi @Julia Foden

Absolutely - for larger releases, we use Early Access Programs to get feedback from users before releasing wider. We'll keep you in the loop on any upcoming EAPs via Community.

Martin Cleaver
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 13, 2022

On the topic of sorting, I'd love to be able

- to sort the rules by last modified and created date, with the usual backwards/forwards options.

- to sort by usage (how many times it has run, all-time, last year, quarter, month and week)

Maksim Marholin
Atlassian Team
July 14, 2022

Hi @Martin Cleaver 

thanks for the feedback, added it to AUT-2378 to be discussed.

Could you please raise a new post for these types of requests next time? It makes it easier to find them and upvote related tickets.

Like Martin Cleaver likes this
Martin Cleaver
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 18, 2022

Thanks, and are we supposed to be able to vote for AUT tickets? I used to be able to.

Regards, Martin

Maksim Marholin
Atlassian Team
July 18, 2022

Hi @Martin Cleaver 

unfortunately, we don't support that.

We treat community posts as votes though, so if you raised one we will add it as +1 to the appropriate ticket for you.

Like Martin Cleaver likes this
Scott Romack August 5, 2022

I'm just +1 ing the idea to opt out of pagination. I usually have between 50 and 100 tickets in my backlog and pressing back and next is silly. I want to be able to just leverage my browser search so nothing fancy like the rest of this thread. This is what I call an anti feature. I'm sure you worked very hard on it but make it optional. Thanks,

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events