New Username Policy and Trusted User Permission

Steve Terelmes July 23, 2018

Jira Cloud has updated their Username process and policy to include the following changes

• Usernames being removed and replaced by "display names"
  • New Permission levels (lozenges on user screen) per user: Site administrator, Trusted, Basic

This article provides some information and reasoning but does not discuss User Permission level at all: https://confluence.atlassian.com/x/Sje-O

Some challenges:

• Even though Atlassian says they are doing away with Usernames in favor of "display names", when you look at a user's profile you still only see Username and do not see anything called display name.
  • It is not clear how/why User Permissions lozenges are displayed on the main user screen. Out of the box some users appear to have both the Site Admin and Trusted lozenge. But when I change this to a single permission, I can't ever seem to get 2 levels to show again. 
  • This update makes the whole confusion around "Admin" labels even greater. There is now 3 Admin groups (Site Admin, Administrators, Jira Admin) and there is also now the new multiple admin user levels. When looking at the User page it is not clear which group, permission or level is meant by the lozenge that shows up next to the user name.

3 comments

Comment

Nelson Boyce February 6, 2019

Can't find any information on "Trusted User," what they can and can't do, what admin levels can do. The descriptions in the UI tell you nothing.

I've worked with Confluence and Jira now for 6 months, and I don't think I've ever been more disappointed with business software than with Atlassian, maybe SharePoint, it might be a tie.

Like # people like this
David Bekkerus February 28, 2019

You can always view the user list and then see what roles they have and click the view details and the role info shows up:

Roles
Trusted: Can access, configure and add products. Can invite users.

Tracie Li March 12, 2019

I granted Trust user right, but seems it can't invite users?  how to do?

Tracie Li March 12, 2019

Fixed.  Thanks.

jennifer_mcteague@slc.co.uk June 27, 2019

Tracie Li, how did you fix this?

M Vijay Kumar August 8, 2019

Hi, 

Apart from inviting users , it also give you access to install and manage add-ons.

Can this also be restricted?

Thanks,

Vijay

Like Dave_Liao likes this
Steve Terelmes April 30, 2019

I'll add a couple more comments based on my exploration of this new feature. 

• Under "Access," Admins can turn products on or off for users. But this will be grayed out if the user is Trusted or Admin. It can only be changed if the user is Basic. It is not clear how this access aligns with the user access when a user joins the groups Administrator and Jira Administrator. At this point they seem to still be separate functions. For example, adding a user to the Administrator group will allow access to Jira Admin settings even though they are still appear as the Role: Basic.
  • Similar to the first bullet above, changing the Roles for the users may not add or remove them from different Admin groups. For example, when making the user Trusted, the user remains only in the Jira-software-user group. It does not add them to any of the Admin groups like jira-administrator or administrator. However, if the user is changed to the Site Admin Role, they are added to the site-admin group
  • A new toggle switch has appeared under Access that seems to be a more general site access level. It is called "Has access on site." This can be turned on or off regardless of what Role the user is in. Even if you set the user to the Role: Site Admin you can still switch off this new Access
  • All this Role and Group designation is incredibly important because of Global Permissions. In the past Global Permissions did not reflect User Roles. However, it appears as though one Role has been added recently. For example, in Global Permission I now see a group called trusted-users-81acb705-9d22,etc., with about 20 other alpha-numeric characters after the name. Perhaps this relates to license keys.
Like # people like this
Martin Boehme
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 3, 2019

Thanks, @Steve Terelmes 

Would someone give that man a cookie?

Like Dave_Liao likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events