New Jira Experience - Max Width Issue View

Matthew Hillier October 30, 2017

We've started using the "New Jira Experience" in the past week, and while it's a refreshing take on JIRA, there's a lot of seemingly odd design choices going on.

The latest one to bug my team is the Issue View. There seems to be a newly imposed maximum-width constraint on the Issue View, meaning that the content never extends beyond a specific width in the screen.

In it's default view on a regular 1080p display, there's some fairly odd padding showing up:

Screen Shot 2017-10-31 at 10.56.23 AM.png

However when I collapse the side-bar (which I'm doing as I get more familiar with the new UI), this get's even more pronounced and starts to feel jarring:

Screen Shot 2017-10-31 at 10.55.35 AM.png

I've some IT and Design users who're starting to use 4k monitors and on those devices it looks, frankly, ridiculous.

When we factor in JRIA Issues with screenshots and lots of text, the somewhat arbitrary-feeling restriction just makes it annoying and enforces more scrolling.

One of my team raised this with Atlassian support, and were told that this is a design choice to improve readability, while my designer interprets this as form over function - I tend to agree.

Please review this, as it's just an unnecessary headache and, as device screens get more dense, is just going to become unnecessarily pronounced.

10 comments

Comment

Sergei Pomphrey January 9, 2018

Getting the same thing, but it's affecting the actual formatting of the content within the issue, in particular tables.

The problem only seems to occur in the pre-"Description" or main body elements. Tables in the "Description" / main body render correctly.

The tables, when the page first loads, appear to be formatted correctly, then just before the load is complete, the tables are condensed.

This causes an issue when the tables are text-heavy or have any links / media and can make the issue almost unreadable.

Most of my organisation has remained with JIRA Classic because of this issue.

Can admins please escalate?

Please see screenshot for example - note the outside boxes show the same padding issue as Matthew mentioned in the original comment. The secondary internal red boxes show the padding problem that condenses the tables.

jira_padding_issue.png

Steph January 19, 2018

Definitely this is a problem.

For the most part the new UI is "prettier" than the current one, however this width limit, which was added later (the "new" UI did not have this limit initially), is a deal breaker.

The issue view width limit ruins the experience on high resolution screens.

On the current UI, items are nicely spread out, and easy to read. Additionally items like issue links, branch names, confluence links, are readable.

With the new UI, we see lots more scrolling, both for the whole issue, as well as various text fields, code blocks, and comments within the issue.  Also, titles in the issue links are often truncated, and there is a lot more wrapping.

With current UI: 

Screen Shot 2018-01-19 at 3.15.51 PM.png

With New UI:

Screen Shot 2018-01-19 at 3.11.39 PM.png

Please can someone escalate and review this change before the new UI is deployed as the default UI.

Luke Huxley January 19, 2018

It takes resizing a window to less than 1400 pixels wide before the maximum viewport limit is reached so even a standard 1920x1080 display with a maximised window is wasting creating over 500 pixels wide of dead space.

Many of the other pages in the new Jira UI are scaling nicely, surely this can't be the finished product?

Like Gary Osborne likes this
Sergei Pomphrey February 19, 2018

This has been raised as a support ticket - https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRACLOUD-67884

Please comment and upvote in order for Atlassian support to prioritise it.

Janek Bogucki April 25, 2019

Upvoted!

Jonathan_Kaczynski May 2, 2019

This is still a problem for me today.

Pierre Godts November 16, 2020

Still problem in Jira issue view today

Like Alexander Ivanov likes this
Gary Osborne January 18, 2021

I would take the use of a '>' like you have on the left hand side to collapse the menu away

Hayden Clark March 10, 2021

And woe betide you if you want a table with more than 2-3 columns. Many columns get squished so narrow that the text is almost printed vertically.

Particularly frustrating as the styles get applied a fraction of a second after the page loads, so you briefly see the table looking half-way usable, then it snaps to be stupidly narrow.

Being as it's style, evidently someone thinks it's aesthetically better, and won't budge on reverting the change, and allowing the view to go as wide as the screen allows. Guys - we have resize handles on our browsers, we can make it narrower if we don't like it wide!

Koko May 25, 2021

This is really annoying... can't read logs pasted to tickets on a wide screen

Like Frederic Doug JANVIER likes this
Dwight Holman
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 28, 2021

This is a common use-case for our team. Diagnostic logs are often a key part of problem investigation, both for bugs and customer support. We're still quite happy on Jira Server, so I'm worried what the users will say when we migrate to Cloud...

DavidRemie December 10, 2021

Came here to confirm that this is still a problem (and a very unpragmatic one at that - it's just abhorrent UX design). Workaround mentioned in comments on the issue tracker works and is delightfully simple. Can't this CSS fix just be implemented as an optional feature if Atlassian is so adamant about the merits of its current issue layout?

Like Dwight Holman likes this
Dwight Holman
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 28, 2021

We've done that on Jira Server - makes the product much more fit-for-purpose.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events