Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

More of software engineering question -- resolution as invalid

parag_manjrekar May 27, 2020

Hi,

I have more of a software engineering question in regards to JIRA.

I find that Atlassian JIRA has "resolution" field and it can be as invalid.

Sometimes bad practices use these without any reason and that leads to many open questions.

Is there any way more details broad category of "invalid" sub states be defined?

Please help if you have experienced this and what can be better ???

I came up with below sub-states, so test and developer can work in harmony --

INVALID - USER ERROR

instances, where the user has totally goofed up in sending the command itself

INVALID - SETUP ERROR

user commands are good, but the setup is totally in a bad state

INVALID - CONFIG ERROR.

user is good, setup is good, but the feature configuration is totally messed up

INVALID - FEATURE LIMITATION

user is good, setup is good, but the feature configuration is good, but there is known issue or limitation

INVALID - OTHER DETAILED REASON

Something the developer/tester needs to agree upon.

1 comment

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 31, 2020

Most of us wouldn't bother with "invalid" as the rest of the phrase explains enough, user error, setup error and working as intended are often seen in the lists alongside fixed, duplicate and the rest of the defaults.

parag_manjrekar May 31, 2020

Due to bad practices, some teams members are marking valid bugs as invalid and it become ping-pong scenario of reopening.  My concern was enforce the correct reason become mandatory for marking invalid so it is justified.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 31, 2020

Having a string of resolutions like that is not really going to help a lot.  Your people are marking things with invalid because they think it's a good reason.

Review your list of resolutions with the people selecting them.  Agree on a short but simple list that covers the main reasons something might be closed off, and then train your people to understand that any resolution means "no more work to do on this", and what they've been doing wrong with their "invalid" selections in the past.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events