Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Methods to organize queries/filters in Jira

Chuck Wood July 6, 2017

Hi - 

Is there a way to organize or manage filters in Jira rather than having a long list? The current list seems pretty unweildy for people that need manage work on different levels. 

2 comments

Comment

Mikael Sandberg
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 6, 2017

I agree it would be helpful if there were a way to organize your filters. I did a quick search and there is a request for it, https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-25386, but it is pretty old.

Rachel Wright
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 7, 2017

Hi Chuck,

While we're waiting for a programatic solution, how about using standard naming conventions to order your filters?

As a quick example:

PROJECT1: Bugs due this week
PROJECT1: Stories
PROJECT2: Whatever

This way they will at least be listed alphabetically on the "Manage Filters" page and in dashboard gadgets.

Also, I periodically ask users to cleanup or remove old filters.  I especially ask any time I make a change to a custom field, status, issue type, or anything else a user queries for.  There's no use in retaining a broken filter!

If you have JIRA Server, you can search the database for queries using specific values.  Then I notify the needed users.  The queries are stored in a table called "searchrequest."  The JQL is stored in the "reqcontent" column.  

Example:  I removed a status called "approved".
Use a MYSQL query like this to find users to notify:

select * from searchrequest where reqcontent like "%status = approved%"

Keep in mind differences in the ways users will write their JQL queries. You might need to look for multiple formats. Ex:

project = PROJECTKEY
vs
project = "Long Project Name"

Thanks for the link, Mikael.

Have a nice day!

Rachel Wright

Like Santhosh likes this
Chuck Wood July 7, 2017

I think it would be a good start for me to clean out old filters, but I do use a standard naming convention.  I just have so many things to track at different levels. There are some tricks in your post I will try. I do miss features that I had in some other tools. 

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events