Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jira vs Azure Dev Ops

Michelle Cook June 11, 2021

I came from a company that used Azure Dev Ops and now I'm using Jira. Do you all realize how much more difficult your software is? Trying to do a simple reorganization of my backlog or a executing a search means I have to go to your site and watch a training video to create a JQL script? I have spent an hour trying to figure out how to order my backlog by summary to no avail which should be a super super easy thing. Yikes, guys.

2 comments

Comment

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 12, 2021

Jira tends not to support broken processes, or at least doesn't bother to make it easy to do them.

You can easily sort a search by summary if you want to - run the search, then add "order by summary" to the query, or just click on the column header to sort. 

Backlogs, by definition, are supposed to be sorted by rank.  Sorting them by summary is inherently useless, it's not what a backlog is for.

Like Bloompeak Support likes this
Phlip Borgnes June 29, 2021

”Sorting them by summary is inherently useless…” 

Wow! I would say your comment is “useless” and shaming to the person trying to make sense trying to use Jira. 
Not helpful at all.
This is a poor example of what a Community Leader should be.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 30, 2021

Yes, it was very blunt.  I am trying to work on my tone in my writing, but I still slip a lot.

It was certainly not intended to shame anyone, and I apologise if anyone took it that way.

I was trying make the point that the thinking is wrong.  If you think you want to sort a backlog by summary, you're not understanding what a backlog is for (or, sometimes, you are using the summary for the wrong thing, often a poor practice inherited from someone before you)

Phlip Borgnes June 29, 2021

Michelle,

I’d suggest exporting into Excel to sort by Summary. Or if you have a field you can use that could be easier. 
To use JIRA well you will need to learn JQL. Or, if you can, move to Azure DevOps Boards. I have migrated one company and am working on migrating another from JIRA to ADO Boards.

Good Luck!

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events