Jira max results is 100?

I noticed recently that the max results with Jira API is 100. This used to be 1000. Why was this changed?

This actually impacts my app performance. It is now slowing down. Is there a way to increase the max results?


Hello Bhakti,

I had the same issue and this the jira support answer:

this change of behaviour is actually intended since calling searches with maxResults set to 1000 in some cases it was causing OOM errors and it was bringing down JIRA.


I don't understand how they can do something like that without any advise :(

Still, 100 is just too small in my opinion.

Warren Levy Community Champion Sep 20, 2017

I agree that this is a strange change to suddenly implement. There must be many people out there who are adversely affected by this. My concern is that it hasn't been publicised - shouldn't Atlassian make a change like this very visible?

The way I've coded it, I would be missing huge chunks of data and potentially not realise. Luckily I noticed this post and now need to make numerous code changes.

This is impacting us as well. We pulling data from Jira every night, but know are pulls are failing as it can only pull 100 instead of 1000. Going to open ticket with Atlassian to understand why this was changed.

I got reply from Atlassian: 

Good day. Thank you for reporting this issue.

After some checking, we have identified that you are hit by a recent bug which is discovered today. Please see the bug ticket as follow:

We apologize for the inconvenience caused to you due to this bug. We encourage you to visit the bug page linked above and click the Watch link near the top right to get updated of the bug fix. By doing this, it will ensure you are proactively informed of progress and updates on bug fix going forward.

There is already an internal ticket on our side about this bug and our developers have been notified about the bug. The fix is currently in progress. However, I'm afraid that I do not have ETA on the bug fix.

They came back with same response as to Roberto Arconada

This change of behaviour is actually intended since, in some cases, calling searches with maxResults set to 1000 was causing OOM errors and it was bringing down JIRA.

We need the fix for this as our work is badly getting affected 

Warren Levy Community Champion Sep 20, 2017


Look at the comments (many of them) in the JRACLOUD ticket in Lukas's post above - I don't think there's going to be a fix, as this change is "fixing a bug" according to Atlassian!

For Power BI users I have template which will pull issues by 100. Let me know if you are interested. 

I have a similar method for pulling 100 issues at a time in Power BI, however, I found that it only works in Power BI desktop.  I am unable to get the data to refresh on the Power BI server side as it won't refresh with functions being used.

Have you actually been able to get this to work on the server side with refreshing?


Log in or Sign up to comment
Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Julia Dillon
Posted Apr 17, 2018 in Jira

Tell us how your team runs on Jira!

Hey Atlassian Community! Today we are launching a bunch of customer stories about the amazing work teams, like Dropbox and Twilio, are doing with Jira. You can check out the stories here. The thi...

764 views 2 19
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you