It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage
Highlighted

Jira creates new translated issue types depending on the admin profile Edited

Today I became aware of an unfortunate behavior of Jira 7. When creating new projects Jira offers now predefined project types like Scrum/Kanban/Basic software development. 

Each project template contain a predefined set of issue types and workflows, which is useful for simple projects.

The workflows are using the same status names (like Backlog, Selected for Development, Done) independent of the language profile of the Jira administrator.

However for the issue types a language specific set of issue types is created, depending of the profile language of the admin. If you have an international set of admins, you will end soon with a set of duplicate issue types for different languages. This becomes weird if you already added translations to the standard set of issues types. For example in this case a German user could see the original issue type "Task" with the German translation "Aufgabe" and a new issue type also named "Aufgabe" if a German admin has created the project. This leads to max confusion. 

What do you think, is this a useful behavior?

Regards

MichaelCreate Project English.pngCreate Project French.pngCreate Project German.png

5 comments

We've been encountering the problem recently too. Sadly we figured it out after the project has been created. So we had to cleanup all the newly created issue types.

Is there any Jira version where this has been fixed?

It seems to be fixed in Jira 8.5.

Same problem for me but in Portuguese, even choosing all English in the install continuous to create Issue Types in portuguese... 

same problem here. Any updates on how to fix this?

We also have same issue in Japanese. 

As a workaround, I changed admin account language and browser language, then create issue types. 

For fresh install, OS default language (and/or language for service running user) should be changed to English. 

It seems that this behaviour has changed recently. At least during my tests with Jira 8.5 and Jira Service Desk I found that Jira creates issues types based on the default language that is set in the general configuration of Jira. This is much better than it used to be.

Comment

Log in or Sign up to comment
TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you