Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jira administrator account information set in AD is not recognized by mail handler

KRAFTON Inc_ September 16, 2020

Dear, Atlassian Team.

We are setting up to register as an issue at the Jira Service Desk when an internal employee sends an email. (Jira Mail handler)

When a person with actual jira administrator privileges sends mail, it is marked as an unauthenticated user and cannot specify a reporter. We're using LDAP.

Can't jira mail handler get user information if there are many user objects in ldap?

There are about 6,000 objects in AD. After testing about 20 people, about 10 reporters are assigned to their mail addresses, and 10 are recognized as external users and designated as default reporter (ASK-IT).

Please help us.

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/When-I-set-up-an-email-handler-and-receive-an-email-inquiry-two/qaq-p/1478570#U1482309

Best Regards,

KRAFTON & PUBG

Yongwon BAEK

2 comments

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 16, 2020

The mail handlers have a simple rule - they read the email address and match it against people in the Jira user directory. 

If it can't find a matching email in the user directory, then they'll look at the "default" user set in the mail handler or, if there is none, they'll act as though there is account.

If your AD service is not synchronising the full list of your desired users with their emails, you'll need to debug why Jira's link to it is not pulling down the list you want.

KRAFTON Inc_ September 17, 2020

I don't think Jira & JSD Mail handlers recognize more than 1000 objects.

Do you have any reports on this?

We are using Microsoft active directory.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRASERVER-63771

I am inquiring because it seems to be an extension of this inquiry.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
September 18, 2020

No, that's a good find, but it's actually a problem in the user-picker code, not the directory synchronisation.

You'd have seen a much larger response if the directories had been limited - there are millions of Jira users in LDAP systems larger than 1,000 objects.

I would start by cross checking the "missing" people against what Jira is reporting them as.  And not just that they exist, but that their emails are exactly matching - I've seen issues when database collations are wrong and people are using different character sets in their names and emails.

KRAFTON Inc_ September 20, 2020

Our Domain Controller's ldap max page size is set to 30000. (Default 1000)

It is confirmed that there is no problem in our Domain Controllers.

Also, we have several domains. (abc.com, abcd.com abcde.com)

However, accounts that are recognized as external users are stored at abc.com.

(abc.com is the default tenant address.)

KRAFTON Inc_ September 20, 2020

Our Domain Controller's ldap max page size is set to 30000. (Default 1000)

It is confirmed that there is no problem in our Domain Controllers.

Also, we have several domains. (abc.com, abcd.com abcde.com)

However, accounts that are recognized as external users are stored at abc.com.

(abc.com is the default tenant address.)

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events