Jira Service Desk + Jira Software escalation

Alexey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 2, 2020

Hello, i'm a bit confused how correctly (by design) escalate issues collected by customer support in JSD to internal development team which works in Jira software.
Move? Clone? Automate? Link? Something else?

I have a few JSD projects, each for a single customer organization and 2 projects in Jira software (same product but we decided to separate development process from Estimation&Planning to reduce columns count).

Generally Flow is:

1. Issue created in JSD Project_1 by the customer.
  2. Issue accepted by support agent and escalated to Jira internal project "estimate"
  3. Analytic reports the value to support agent to inform client
  4. If client decided accepts the budget, then that issue card should appear in second Jira project called 'production'
  5. Then task is done, support agent needs to inform client.

I. From client's perspective statuses are:

• waiting for agent,
  • estimating,
  • budget confirmation,
  • in planning,
  • in progress,
  • released,
  • done.

II. From manager's perspective statuses are:

• incoming,
  • to estimate,
  • confirm budget,
  • budget confirmed,
  • planned.-> transfer to Development project (again, clone? Copy?)

III. For developer:

• backlog,
  • in progress,
  • review,
  • test,
  • release,
  • deploy.

In other words, issue card from I. should mirror the statuses from II. and III. Ideally to mirror client's comments to internal task too. 

Is it 1 issue, 2 or even 3 and how to do manage them correctly?

3 comments

Laura Campbell _Seibert Media_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 2, 2020

Hi @Alexey , I think our app Elements Copy & Sync would help with your use case. The app lets you set up copy recipes to copy issues into different projects and keep fields and comments synchronized. Basically it's a clone, move, and link with synchronization all in one.

For example, you could set up a copy recipe for step 2: the issue is cloned from JSD into the JSW project you need. If you set up two-directional synchronization, the budget estimate that's added to the JSW ticket can be automatically updated on the JSD ticket (basically automating step 3).

For step 4, you could use a copy recipe on a post-function to copy the cloned JSW issue into the Production project as part of the last transition of the estimation workflow. The estimation issue will be closed, and the new development ticket will be created automatically.

The app will not mirror the statuses of the linked issues, but comments and attachments from the client can be copied to the internal tasks.

For you last question on managing the issues, maybe another workflow expert can give their opinion. I would just suggest the last status of the JSD ticket maybe isn't necessary since the released status signals the request is resolved.

Like Alexey likes this
Alexey
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 2, 2020

Thanks for the reply. I thought its possible to accomplish with JIRA build-in features. Its ok to escalate manually, agent need to read and make decision anyways.

As for cloning/mirror statuses, i dont need it, each project got own flow.
I'm interested in two things:

1. Add additional clients' comments to all 2/3 cards. So the agent do not need to copy-paste that info to developers team. (your app can do that)
2. Link statuses (call it a triggers), something like:
If an issue in developer's Jira board changed to status "deploy", change status to parent/original Service desk card to 'released' and ask client to check if everything is ok.

In regards your product pricing. I have 8 people in Jira service desk and 30 in Jira Software (Those 8 are here too). Do i need 8, 30 or 38 user licenses?

Laura Campbell _Seibert Media_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 2, 2020

Part of your use case could be accomplished with Automation for Jira which is built-in for Cloud, and indeed you could probably update the status of the original JSD issue using automation (not an expert in Automation, sorry!). But cloning with Automation won't include comments and attachments.

Check out the Automation library to see how you could use it for part of your use case: https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/automation-template-library

For pricing, you would need a license for 30 users. This is how it's explained on the Marketplace:

"Apps are billed based on the number of users in your Atlassian product. Jira Cloud apps are priced based on the maximum users of the Jira products on your instance. For example, if you have Jira Software (50 users) and Jira Service Management (10 agents) on the same instance, you pay the 50-user price for apps."

Marlene Kegel - codefortynine
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
December 2, 2020

Hey @Alexey,

You might be interested in an article I published about that topic. It describes how one of our customers escalates tickets in JSD with our Jira cloud app Deep Clone for Jira.

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-Service-Management-articles/Escalate-tickets-in-Jira-Service-Desk-with-Deep-Clone-for-Jira/ba-p/1244255

Jose Lobo (Solutions Architect at Exalate)
Rising Star
Rising Star
December 2, 2020

Hey @Alexey 
Thank you for your inquiry,

I'm Jose, from the Exalate team. 

Your use case looks like a good case to use Exalate to mirror tickets between multiple Jira Projects in different products (SD, Software). Your case is what we call a "Local Synchronization". 

Tickets in sync will update bi-directionally as you mentioned while keeping the status values from the project they are at.

If your Jira SD and Software are in separate instances (different Jira URLs). You can also escalate the issues through Exalate

Let me know if this answers your question,

TL;DR: Exalate can help you accomplish this in a smooth way 🙂

Like # people like this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events