Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jira: How do you do this when Subtasks are assigned to another team?

Deleted user October 11, 2017

The scenario is,

If say a Story has a piece of work another team must do. The easiest way to do this would be to create a Subtask under this Story and assign it to say Team B.

This works well, except, this Subtask is correctly visible on Team B's Board which when Closed Jira prompts to Close the parent Story. This is not correct as there are still Open (albeit hidden) Subtasks under the Story. In fact the Story is assigned to Team A.

I tested this with a Story assigned to Team A
I created a Subtask and assigned it to Team A
I created another Subtask and assigned it to Team B
Both Subtasks are visible on Team A's Scrum Board, this is the correct behavior in order to maintain visibility for Team A on all work assigned (inside and outside of their team)
The Story and Subtask assigned to Team B is also visible on Team B's Board, this is the correct behavior as the work is assigned to this team

The problem now comes in once Team B completes their Subtask. The user is then prompted with “All sub-tasks for parent issue are now Closed. Do you want to update this parent issue to match?”. The natural (and obvious) behaviour would be to Close the Parent Story as no other Subtasks are visible. But by doing this the Story (that is actually assigned to Team A with open Subtasks) is Closed. This is not the correct behavior.

Possible solutions could be that once the Subtask assigned to Team B is Closed the actual Story disappears from Team B's Board (and not prompting the user to Close the parent Story)? Or possibly warn the user beforehand, with something like, "All Subtasks assigned to your team are now Closed. This Story will no longer be visible on your Board as it is assigned to Team A". Or a separate Story/Task/Subtask assigned to Team B with a link to the Story assigned to Team A is the way to go, but seems so unnecessary and not the best way to do this.

How do you work in such a scenario?

Thank you and look forward to your recommendations.

Kevin
kevin@mweb.com
MWEB

1 comment

Comment

Deleted user October 17, 2017

How do I go about requesting an enhancement for; “Once a Subtask assigned to Team B is Closed the actual Story that is assigned to Team A disappears from Team B's Board (do not prompt the user to Close the parent Story) and possibly warn the user with something like, "All Subtasks assigned to your team are now Closed. This Story will no longer be visible on your Board as it is assigned to Team A".”

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events