Jira Automation Create Variable bug

TimMG December 22, 2021

I've found some curious behaviour when trying to create a variable in a Jira automation routine.  If I create a variable in a branch line so:

snip1.png

{{cake}} was able to be recalled in the email within that branch ("cakecake"), but isn't able to be recalled outside of that branch (the one called "middle").

While trying to debug this behaviour I discovered by chance that by adding a new variable before the first branch somehow resulted in the expected behaviour.  ie the automation below worked and the value of {{cake}} was able to be recalled in the email "middle"

snip.png

Not sure if this is a bug in the way the platform handles variable creation, or I think in my troubleshooting googling i read something somewhere that branches may be processed in parallel, meaning that perhaps the email "middle" is being sent before the branch that creates {{cake}} is executed?

2 comments

Comment

Raphael França January 7, 2022

That's exactly my problem.

Screenshot_7.pnga

Can't use this variable outside the branch.

Raphael França January 8, 2022

To work i just used lookupissues

Screenshot_8.png

Janice Castro January 18, 2023

based on what I've read, variables created in branches only live within branches (you lose them when you move outside the branch) but variables created at the top level are accessible during branching, so what you are seeing is expected behavior

see: https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-articles/Automation-for-Jira-Create-variable-New-component/ba-p/1448118

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events