Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JIRA subtasks, estimations, and the impact on reports

Andre W July 26, 2018

I've read several of the posts with questions on subtasks and the general complaints that it has on Jira reports when time tracking is used.

The setup:

• Time tracking enabled
  • Scrum Board with estimation of Original Time Estimate

The use case:

• User Story with subtasks
  • Time estimations on the subtasks

The problem(s):

• If you enter 0m (or null) for a time estimate on the User Story and times on the subtasks, then burn down charts are inaccurate and other reports are similarly impacted
  • If you estimate the same time on both the user story and subtasks, you essentially double-book your time and charting, reports, and estimates are 2x
  • If you estimate only on the user story and time track on the subtask, then burn down charts are inaccurate and other reports are similarly impacted

Either way, it seems that if you use subtasks for estimation or time tracking, then your reports will be inaccurate.

Real world use case:

User Story is to Add Shiny New GUI feature:

• Subtask 1: Design shiny new GUI feature
  • Subtask 2: Develop shiny new GUI feature
  • Subtask 3: Test shiny new GUI feature

Using Jira with this use case, where the Design, Development, and QA teams can track their time independently on the Subtasks makes it virtually impossible to have accurate reports for sprints and releases.

I know that there are other people with this issue based on looking at some of the posts already, but I haven't found a clear solution on how to handle this scenario without either sacrificing the accuracy of the reports or losing the visibility of time tracking using Subtasks.

Anyone found a way to accomplish both? [If your only answer is to not use subtasks, please keep it moving and don't waste your time or mine]

0 comments

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events