JIRA Service Desk: Issue being auto shared with organization

Herman Chow
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 30, 2017

Hi Atlassian community!

I'm a developer at Atlassian and in my ShipIt and 20% time i've been working on a Connect App that would allow anyone on Jira Cloud to share and embed your Jira issues anywhere on the internet.

The status would be updated live wherever your customers are viewing your issues.

I think this will be a better, more open way to communicate with your customers by showing them your work tasks.

What I would like to know is:

• Is this a feature that interests you?
  • How would you see yourself using this?
    • Details around your use case
    • What platforms/tools would you share your Jira issues on?

Here's an example of how it works:

Once you enable sharing you have options to share via social media, embed as HTML or embed as image (such as in markdown).

This will show a card in whatever medium you choose showing the Issue summary, stats, assignee (as an avatar) and description.

Jira screens

ConnectAppPanel.pngConnectAppShare.png

Shared screens

Iframe

ShareablesIframe.pngMarkdownShareablesMarkdown.pngTwitterShareablesTwitter.png

Unfortunately this is still a work in progress so I can't make it available to anyone yet, however when it's ready i'd love to give early access to those here who provide feedback.

Thanks for reading!

5 comments

Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
October 31, 2017
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 31, 2017

So my initial reaction was great, great great and I think it still is. But I have some basic questions/comments. Assuming I wanted to make open issues available on my company's website:

1. One issue I see is that the customer would use one screen (Portal) to create tickets and then another to view. This could be a bit confusing. Maybe the Portal "Requests" link could redirect?
  2. What about multiple customer scenarios? How do I ensure that customers only see tickets for their organization?
  3. What info would be shared w/ the customer? There is internal and public content for an issue so maintaining that would be important.

I really like the idea which stems from my (and many other's) desire to have an improved Portal experience when it comes w/ sharing updates with customers. Note that my comments may be off base here if I'm not understanding the full intent. In my mind an ideal use case for a service desk solution is if I could seamlessly integrate into my company's website. Set up customer logins that would allow them to navigate to support where they could create and update issues.

Herman Chow
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 2, 2017

Thanks for the feedback @Jack Brickey!

The intention that I approached this App with is to have issues completely open, and of course only share issues that you would be okay with sharing with the public. I'd imagine it to be like a tweet to a customer, other customers can see the response as well but it also shows your proactive approach to responding to customers.

I think this might be a way to reach out to customers that aren't even getting so far as your website or portal.

Mizan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 31, 2017
  • Is this a feature that interests you?
    • This will be great to broadcast any important incident or upcoming release. This is nice and serves the purpose, unless the organization does not want to be so transparent,
  • How would you see yourself using this?
    • If my system is down I can display this on the 'under maintenance' page. simlar to status page
    • How different is this from JIRA Macro ?
    • Does it open any security risk ?
Herman Chow
Atlassian Team
November 2, 2017

• How different is this from JIRA Macro ?
    This plugin would be the opposite of our existing integrations in the sense that it embeds into any non-Atlassian software. The existing Atlassian to Atlassian integrations are more fully featured.
  • Does it open any security risk ?
    As it stands the idea is it would open part of one particular issue to the entire internet. Users would not need an account to view it, however it also means that they will not have access to your Jira instance, nor know where it is. Currently there is no way for end-users to interact with the issue itself, it is more informational.
Mizan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 4, 2017

Cool :) All the best 

Herman Chow
Atlassian Team
October 31, 2017

Thank you for your feedback so far!

I just wanted to add that this actually wouldn't be limited to just Jira Service Desk.

In fact a dev team could freely share their stories as well if they wanted to.

Saad Sarakbi November 2, 2017

Sorry for my late response.

The idea is really great and needed, a lot of customers require more transparency and more details but the security part is also a very important aspect. 

If I understood correctly, by sharing the issue in social media for example everyone will be able to see the issue or no-one. I believe it would be good if there was an option between the two options where it is possible to choose who can see the issues, sort of whitelisting.

Herman Chow
Atlassian Team
November 2, 2017

Great idea!

How would you see yourself restricting permissions?
Would it be to specific users? an email domain? something else?

Saad Sarakbi November 3, 2017

An email domain is a good way to restrict permissions.

In this way you would have a reasonable balance between everyone and no-one and it would give the customer the option to choose with whom they want to share the Issues as a whitelist and with whom they don't want to share the issues (Blacklist) like Competitors ...

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events