Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Isolate Users in Groups

Iman Rameshni January 10, 2021

Hello all, I am a Jira admin and I manage several projects, recently I created separate groups for each project, now I need to isolate group members, I mean I need to somehow configure groups so that a group member only can find other group members even if he/she search for a person in People section he can only find his group members and not find other groups members; is it possible in Jira? and how can I configure it?

2 comments

Comment

Alexander Pappert
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 10, 2021

in project permission, you can configure the groups which can be an assignee of the issue.

user a is in group a

user b is in group b

permission says only group a members can be assignee

so user a can not find/see user b

Like Monika Rani likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 10, 2021

No, Jira has no way to hide people - you can either see and search for everyone, or you can not.  The "browse users" permission in global permissions is simply on or off for a person.

Like # people like this
Iman Rameshni January 11, 2021

Thanks,
Then if I disable "browse users" permission, can users assign a task to another user?

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 11, 2021

Yes, they can, but they'll need to know the name of the other user, as they'll have to type it in full to get it selected.

Like Iman Rameshni likes this
Iman Rameshni January 11, 2021

Thanks

Iman Rameshni January 13, 2021

I implemented the discussed solution and everything is working perfectly, ther is only one problem in @mentioning users in tasks and issues.
Is there any way to solve it?
@Nic Brough -Adaptavist- 
And again thanks for your helpful comments.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 13, 2021

We don't know, you have not told us what the problem is (or what you have "implemented")

Actually I created separate groups for different project, and also I created permission schemes for each project, so that each group can only have access to their project;
Then I disabled "browse users" permission on global level.
Now created tasks can be assigned to people in the group but people can not be mentioned in the comments.
Is there any way to solve the mentioning problem with current configuration?
I hope I could explain the situation.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 13, 2021

You need browse user to be able to look up people to mention.  This is not a "problem", it's by design, you've chosen to turn it off.

Thanks,
by problem I meant my problem :D
so if I enable "browse users" permission, is there any way to disable users from searching other users that are not in the same group with them?

I need to stop users from searching and seeing other users that are not working on the same project with them; actually that's my main goal.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 13, 2021

I already explained how the lookups worked in my original answer.

I am sorry that it was not clear that you can't do what you're asking, user lookups are flat can or cannot.

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events