Is it possible to use Jira as a ticketing system

mikola113 March 28, 2018

In our company, we often receive requests through service desk. It's sometimes a new feature, sometimes a bug fix and sometimes it's an investigation. And there are even cases when a request is a combination of an investigation + bugfix. We would like to delegate the reception of requests to a dedicated group. And that group will open tickets to us, the development team if they think our involvement is needed. Right now, the service desk is able to assign a task to developers directly which causes a lot of problems as they're really not technical people. Now I wonder if it is possible to set up jira as a ticketing system? If it is, then how? Can someone share their practice?

2 comments

Vasiliy Zverev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 28, 2018

It seems to be a permission issue. 

You should restrict assign issue for this group.

The best way - create a status like "For developers" and assign issue to one, how assing concrete developer.

Like # people like this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 28, 2018

Jira is already a "ticketing system" - people raise things, other people fix them.

I'm not entirely sure where you are struggling with this.  A standard set up for Jira Service Desk is not quite what you describe - Atlassian's standard model is to have a Service Desk project with customers asking for things, a few "agents" who handle what they can and do triage, and then the agents create linked issues in separate development projects when they need development work.

mikola113 March 28, 2018

Hey, Nic. I think I have to make that clear that we don't have the Atlassian Service Desk software. By service desk, I mean our service desk group. :).

In fact yes, I understand that Jira is already a ticketing system. I just wanted to gather opinions. What I'm planning to do is create some custom fields and make them required so that whenever a ticket is raised some mandatory fields are filled. I'm also planning to create an issue type called Ticket. Can you share your thought about this idea?

Allah canını sağ eləsin. (In Azerbaijani it means God bless your soul) :) 

Like William Harris likes this
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 28, 2018

Well, um, you tagged it service desk and said service desk in the first sentence.

If you're not going to use Service Desk, that's fine, but I'd run away from "ticket" as an issue type for plain Jira.  It's not even the right use of the word, but more importantly, it tells you nothing, and stops you having different configurations - there's every chance that you want to handle user reported bugs totally differently to requests for training or hardware.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events