• Give kudos
  • Received
  • Given

Leaderboard

• Global

Trophy case

Kudos (beta program)

Kudos logo

You've been invited into the Kudos (beta program) private group. Chat with others in the program, or give feedback to Atlassian.

View group

It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Introducing Pinned Fields Edited

Pinned Fields Banner.png

Hi Atlassian Community,

My name is Matt, I'm a product manager on the Jira Cloud team. Today we are excited to announce the arrival of Pinned Fields to the new issue view in Jira Cloud. Pinned Fields allows users of the new issue view to choose fields to “pin” above others. Even fields that an admin has configured to sit below the “Show more” dropdown can be pinned.

To pin a field to the top of your issue view simply click on the 📌 icon next to any field’s label. The order of the pinned fields is determined by the order you pin them in.

Pinned Fields Screenshot.png

End-users and admins have told us that they need more power to layout the new issue view in a way that it right for them and their teams. We’re working hard to address these problems and Pinned Fields is the first in a series of releases that is going to make the new issue view flexible enough to work for every team.

If you have any feedback on Pinned Fields or want to send some 💙 to the team, please leave a comment below; we’d love to hear from you.

7 comments

Dave Liao Community Leader Oct 17, 2020

@Matthew Canham - I was pleasantly surprised to run into this feature! It's a cool Quality of Life feature. Pinning fields seems to be a straightforward task. 👍

Like Matthew Canham likes this

This looks like it might be a useful feature for our users, but I don't see it on our site: asudev.jira.com. Any reason we don't have it yet?

Thanks, John Wilson

Hi @John Wilson, Pinned Fields have now been rolled out to every Jira Cloud production instance. Can you confirm that you are using the new issue view?

Hi Matthew, I'm definitely using the new issue view.

In the email alert I received last Thursday (10/15) about this feature, there's an embedded video showing a cursor hovering over/near a field on the right column in the new issue view. When the cursor is near the field name, a pin icon shows up. That is NOT happening in our instance: asudev.jira.com. I'm using up to date Chrome on a Mac. 

Hi John, given that we've previously talked over email I'll send you an email to continue this thread.

Great feature!  Additionally, it would be great if there was a way to have "default" pinned fields that would apply to any ticket assigned to myself, for example.  I generally have the same set of fields I'd like pinned on every ticket, but it's a lot of work to go and pin them manually in every ticket.

Like Matthew Canham likes this

Thanks for the suggestion and feedback, @jo. As you've found, pinned fields are persisted across tickets within the same project. So, while you shouldn't have to re-pin fields on every ticket, you will have to set up your pinned fields between different projects.

Is it possible that my pinned fields are applied to all the members in the project?

Hi @Sam Neilson, for now Pinned Fields are only applicable at an individual user level and are not able to be shared with others.

Project admins are able to configure the layout of an issue to move important fields to the top of an issue.

Hi Matt and team, thanks for working towards this better issue layout with groups coming and being able to control the left side of the screen!  For pinning, as an Admin, is it possible to turn off the feature for our users?  We should be ok if not, but just curious what options we have (our users ask for a lot of things to put guardrails on the team members).

Hi @G, thanks for your question.

At the moment it is not possible for admins to turn off Pinned Fields at an admin level. Please let me know if you run into any issues with this.

Like G likes this
Dirk Ronsmans Community Leader Nov 27, 2020

Hi @Matthew Canham ,

I just recently started experimenting with the pinned fields and it's amazing! Really gonna help the users decide their own form more (especially in multi team projects)

2 things tho that I'm missing:

1. The ability to move pinned fields within the pinned fields section. Right now it's just based on what field you pinned last will show at the bottom. It would be great if we could move arround the fields within the pinned section to re-arrange them and not have to unpin/re-pin them to get the order right.
  2. Like @Sam Neilson  mentioned it would be so great if we could set a default pinned layout based on some specifictions. (e.g. a member of team A has these fields pinned by default, a member of team B has other fields pinned by default). This would go a long way in getting more dynamic forms but based on the same "template form"

Any idea if there are any suggestions for those 2 that I can follow or that can be raised?

Like P@M-IT.COM likes this

Hi @Dirk Ronsmans, thank you for these suggestions.

Off the back of our announcement that we'll be transitioning all users to the new issue view from 31st March 2021 our team is laser focused on delivering improvements that are blocking people from making the move to the new issue view.

Given this, it's unlikely that we'll be able prioritise any further improvements to pinned fields prior to this date.

Like Dirk Ronsmans likes this

I think it would be beneficial to have different Pinned Views. If I am building out a ticket for the first time I might want the fields that will be static throughout the life of the ticket to be at the top. Then when I move to working on the ticket I would want a view that put the dynamic fields at the top. e.g. When I start building a report I would want to see the Report Name, location, Blocked, anything that I might change more than once at the top. 

Comment

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you