Inline Editing of displayed fields directly from a Jira Cloud filter list results screen

Brian Debler May 5, 2022

It would be spectacular if I could edit data directly from displayed results in a Jira filtered list on the cloud interface.

Yes, one can open up any displayed item in a list and make the edit ... but doing so requires one more screen transition, and taking my focus away from where I saw the data I wanted to change in the first place.  It's not a huge amount of time and loss of focus, but that cost still  adds up when doing some repetitive task requiring unique values for specific data fields.

However, with Inline Editing on Filter Lists, that data displayed in my Jira Filter could be changed right there without a cost of time or loss of focus from a screen transition.

Would others find this to be a useful feature to have in Jira Cloud?

2 comments

Comment

Hannes Obweger - JXL for Jira
Marketplace Partner
Marketplace Partners provide apps and integrations available on the Atlassian Marketplace that extend the power of Atlassian products.
May 5, 2022

Hi @Brian Debler

I unconditionally agree with everything you said. In fact, my team is working on an app that solves this exact problem: JXL for Jira.

JXL is a full-fledged spreadsheet/table view for your issues that, based on a given JQL statement or filter, allows viewing and inline editing all your Jira fields (standard fields, custom fields, plus a number of "special fields" that aren't otherwise available). You can edit issues individually, or in bulk, using copy/paste.

Here's how this looks in action:

bulk-assign.gif

It's worth noting that JXL can do much more than that: From inline issue creation, to quick sorting and filtering, to support for issue grouping, issue hierarchies, and sum-ups. More info at https://jxl.app.

If this sounds interesting and you find a moment, perhaps give it a try. I'd be super keen to hear if this would make your life easier, and any thoughts or feature requests you might have.

Best,

Hannes

Monica Morris May 12, 2022

Hi @Brian Debler - if you submit a feature request to Atlassian I will absolutely vote for/watch/comment on it and ask my colleagues to do the same.

Eliminating the context switching and extra time from having to open separate windows would be amazing. You'd also eliminate the need to refresh the filtered list page after each of the changes on the separate window - I have to do this to see the updated data and avoid losing my place while working through a list.

Like # people like this
jmercado March 2, 2023

this feature will definitely make Jira a super app. I have been looking for this feature but everywhere I go it says it's currently not a feature of Jira. 

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events