Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have 9 teams contributing to 1 project all have their own back log

Jennifer Fernandez November 1, 2018

Each team has their own backlog which includes work for various different projects.  I want each team to single out the work in their backlog that is for my specific project I am managing so I can create a dashboard to track progress of the teams deliverables.

Would you recommend each team assigns labels to the relevant work do this so I can the create a DB?

2 comments

Comment

Tom Lister
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 2, 2018

Hi @Jennifer Fernandez

each team can have its own board and the board is defined by a filter query. If there is no set of criteria that identifies the issues to select then I would definitely use labels. Get the teams to agree on a set to use up front for consistency.

Jennifer Fernandez November 2, 2018

HI Tom, 

Thanks for the reply.  Each team does have their own backlog, but on each backlog, there is work which is assigned to different projects on the backlog.  I only want to have visibility into the work for my specific project.  

What is the best way to extract/view this?

Thanks,
Jennifer 

Tom Lister
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 3, 2018

Hi Jennifer

I'm trying to understand your requirement.

By projects do you mean Jira projects or real world projects ( I wish a different name had chosen for Jira project as it has different meanings to organisations ;-) )

Or do the teams up boards that collate issues from different Jira projects i.e. include issues from your jira project.

If you create your own board based on a filter showing issues in a project you want to see, then the board should show you progress. Although may allow you to move issues which could be undesired.

What would you like to see on a dashboard?

My favourite is two dimensional views by status and assignee.

Hope I haven't completely missed the point here.

Michael Bachmann November 2, 2018

We have a similar requirement so I have created a status "Backlog" in the worklog and a custom field with an entry for each team that specifies which team is responsible.

With this you can easily create filters/boards for each team.

I attached a screenshot, although it's german you should get the gist of it.

Edit — test - Jira_2018-11-02_10-13-46.png

And the selection of the specific backlog using the custom field.

Zu Backlog - Jira_2018-11-02_10-15-58.png

Tom Lister
Community Leader
Community Leader
November 2, 2018

tHi @Michael Bachmann

I was assuming a Jira Software project created as a Scrum Software Development that has a built in backlog feature.

Michael Bachmann November 2, 2018

My comment was merely an alternative to using labels to define the specific "backlog", which might be a misleading term in this case.
I find labels rather error prone, especially if you are also using other labels not related to this.

How you then use or name the status and custom field doesn't really matter, this is just to identify the correct issues in the JQL used for the boards.

Sorry for not making that clear.

Like Tom Lister likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events