How to handle the "done" state when developers are done with their work but QA still needs to test?

Ashley Freeman January 2, 2019

Hello!

We have an issue here where developers are finishing their work in their sprints, and are changing the status of issues to "Ready for Testing." This isn't being marked as "Done" in sprint reports. We know we can change this by making "Ready for Testing" the right most column on our board, however, in an ideal world, we would like "Ready for Testing" to be counted as done when generating sprint reports for the dev team but not counted as done when generating sprint reports for the QA team. It would be amazing if the dev team could move their issues to "Ready for Testing" and see it in the rightmost column on their board, and the QA team would then see it in the leftmost column of their board.

Is there any way for me to do this? If not, how does your team handle this situation? I've tried reading through the forums here but can't seem to find a solution. 

2 comments

Comment

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 2, 2019

'Done' is the right-most column. So just set up the two boards so that the right-most column is 'done'.

Ashley Freeman January 2, 2019

Thanks for your reply! How would I shepherd the issue from the right-most column on the dev board to the left-most column of the QA board?

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 2, 2019

Hi Ashely. You can customize the workflow to do this. You would need to add another status to the workflow. Can you show us your board on a screenshot?

Ashley Freeman January 3, 2019

Awesome! Thank you! Here's our board: 

dev board.png

And here's our workflow:

workflow.PNG

I think we would want "Dev Complete" to be green in the eyes of the dev team and blue or yellow in the eyes of the test team for purposes of sprint reports. 

LarryBrock
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 4, 2019

Howdy @Ashley Freeman!

I like that your singular workflow includes QA testing to get to "Done".  The only way I know of to affect the sprint reports and such is to actually create two workflows, one for each team, so that each can mark their work "done".  There's a slight chance that a subtask of the story for each team would produce the same result but I'm not hopeful.

Hope this helps,
~~Larry Brock

Like Ashley Freeman likes this
Ashley Freeman January 4, 2019

Hi! Thank you for the info! I think mapping statuses to different places in a board might also affect the sprint reports. It seems as though issues with statuses that are mapped to the right-most column in a board may be counted as "completed" for purposes of the sprint report, regardless of where that status is in the workflow. Thanks for your response!

Like LarryBrock likes this
LarryBrock
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 5, 2019

That's great to know @Ashley Freeman - thanks for the update!

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events